The Student Room Group

The Current Year 12 Chat Thread (2019-2020)

[scrollr]:blow: Welcome to The Current Year 12 Chat Thread (2019-2020)! :blow:[/scrollr]

Ayyy #2002-2003Babies :woo:

Crikey, we've moved to the A-Levels section now. :creep:

Here we will study.
Here we will learn and have fun.
Here we will complain because life's decided to curse us with another year of agony and despair

This is our little Year 12 space where we can get to know each other and ask for study help etc! :yep: :rave:

Anyway, roll on the mandatory questions...

ICEBREAKERS :grouphugs:

Spoiler

Also, huge huge HUGEEE shoutout to @clouddbubbles for the amazing Year 11 thread last year. Thank you, Bubbles! :hugs:

Good luck to everyone! I hope you'll feel happy to utilise this area. We're all here to support you.

Edit: Hi New Year 12s/Class of 2022! This thread has all the Old Year 12s (or soon to be Year 13s) in it! A fresh new thread for you guys should be up and running in the next couple of days. You're more than welcome here if you'd like tips from any of us!

~ Notice Board ~

#smallprintalert
Okay, I need to give a huge shout out @ClubNeon for this idea and @entertainmyfaith for the links I'm about to share because I'm highkey stealing ideas here, but thank you to both of you and I hope you don't mind lolol. :grouphugs:
I'll edit in popular links here, plus add anything you guys want to share. Just let me know! x

Getting ready for A-Levels
A-Level Revision Tips
Advice from A* students
Doing GCSE retakes during A-Levels
A-level study groups

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello!

I’m hazza for short, GCSEs were challenging but I managed to pass everything! I’m doing a BTEC (rather than an a levels) in medical science as I’ll most likely be doing my coursework in hospital - I have regular admissions! My favourite subject is biology by far and I’m going to college rather then staying on at my school.

I’m super nervous about starting year 12, but looking forward to a fresh start and meeting new people that have the same interests as me. I love to kayak because there’s so many hidden coves in Cornwall :biggrin:

Looking forward to being apart of this thread!
Can't we go back to GCSEs now. They are so easy compared to A-level. I'm worried as I might be having a part-time job and focusing on college this could affect me.
Hiya I'm Magda!
Year 11 was literally the worst year for me, and surprisingly I got 13 A*s and 2 As (remark = successful) As are in numeracy and welsh :mad:

A-levels:
Biology (wjec) < fave subject
Chemistry (wjec)
Maths (wjec)
German (wjec)
EPQ (wjec)

The future:
Natural biological sciences/Medicine (but like I don't want to learn about roaches, ygm?)

How I'm feeling:
stressed already, even though I haven't started the courses yet

Hobbies
watching Greys anatomy oops

I'm looking forward to smaller classes and getting work experience done (but then I need to put my head down and work, I don't want to lmao)

GYG:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6094702
(edited 4 years ago)
Enjoy year 12 guys! Frees are the best and will be so useful in the future! :biggrin:

Have you guys found out your timetables yet (and how many frees you got)?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Starlight15
Enjoy year 12 guys! Frees are the best and will be so useful in the future! :biggrin:

nah my school is always late with everything, haven't even enrolled yet lmao
What's your name?
Razzz, or at least my TSR nickname. :lol:

How did you find the GCSE experience?
Meh. Probably could've gone better but I'm going to learn from my mistakes, dust myself off and carry on. :yep:

What A-Levels (or other equivalent qualifications) are you taking? [Specifying boards will help to find other people sitting the same exams!]
A-Level English Literature (OCR)
A-Level History (Edexcel)
A-Level Government & Politics (Board TBC - I'll edit it in later)

What is your favourite subject?
English Lit! :woo:

Have you stayed on at your school or are you going somewhere new?
Same old, same old :yes:. Externals are joining though, so that should be new!

Your initial feelings about starting Year 12?
Excited and simultaneously terrified.

Any hobbies or interests?
I love music. I've been playing the piano since forever and will be taking Grade 6 for it this year too. :colone:

What are you looking forward to the most?
Meeting new people, finally having frees and finding out what I'm going to do with my life. :yep:

If you have a GYG* blog, link it here: Omg it's now live! Razzz Ripens Her Grades: A Year 12 Challenge
(edited 4 years ago)

PRSOM, you found us! :lol:

Nope, we get them on the first day back. I think I have around 9 frees though! :eek3:
Reply 8
Hiyaa! I’m Ro for short

GCSE were stressful and depressing but I got through them fine. They were easier than expected and I revised my arse off for them but thankfully ended up with really good grades.

For A-Levels I’m taking Biology, Chemistry and RS.

My favourite subject is probably Biology

I’m starting a new sixth form in September and I’m nervous but very excited to meet new people and new teachers. (I’ve actually missed school 😱)

I love reading and I’d really like to start the gym soon but I probably won’t have time so maybe in a couples if years.

I’m looking forward to being more independent really and start looking at unis and go out with friends.

Don’t have a blog because I wouldn’t be committed to it like everyone else.

The Year 12s of 2019-2020

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm happy with my GCSE results, though A levels are going to be much harder. Kind of scary, lol. I don't know what exam boards I'm doing yet, but I'm going to do History, Psychology, and English Literature. They're quite content heavy, so I hope I'll manage?
Original post by RazzzBerries
What's your name? Razzz, or at least my TSR nickname. :lol:

How did you find the GCSE experience? Meh. Probably could've gone better but I'm going to learn from my mistakes, dust myself off and carry on. :yep:

What A-Levels (or other equivalent qualifications) are you taking? [Specifying boards will help to find other people sitting the same exams!]
A-Level English Literature (OCR)
A-Level History (Edexcel)
A-Level Government & Politics (Board TBC - I'll edit it in later)

What is your favourite subject? English Lit! :woo:

Have you stayed on at your school or are you going somewhere new? Same old, same old :yes:. Externals are joining though, so that should be new!

Your initial feelings about starting Year 12? Excited and simultaneously terrified.

Any hobbies or interests? I love music. I've been playing the piano since forever and will be taking Grade 6 for it this year too. :colone:

What are you looking forward to the most? Meeting new people, finally having frees and finding out what I'm going to do with my life. :yep:

If you have a GYG* blog, link it here: Coming soon :wink:

Ahhh sweet sweet politics

A congratulations is in order for making the list but I’m sure there are a lot more people on TSR you could put down
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Greywolftwo
A congratulations is in order for making the list but I’m sure there are a lot more people on TSR you could put down

Yep of course i'll find more year 12s
Reply 14
What's your name?
Jacob Rees-Mogg

Pretty easy actually, did no revision until a day or two before each exam and left with 4 A's 4 B's 3 C's, a P2 and a Pass

Government & Politics (WJEC)
Law (WJEC)
Economics (WJEC)
Welsh Bacc (WJEC) (not by choice, kill me pls)

I assume it'll be Politics

Ahahahaha, god if I stayed at my high school for sixth form my life would be done.

I know I won't get away with no work at home this time, it's time to actually try.

At this point I probably have an addiction to Pokemon, send help.

Not really actively looking forward to anything in particular.

Awe you missed me out...
Hi :colondollar:
What's your name?
Lucy

Stressful, yet also really rewarding. Apparently, I thrive under pressure. Who knew? I certainly didn't.

History (i think it may be eduqas, haven't actually been told for sure yet)
Government and Politics (not sure yet)
Psychology (eduqas)
I'm also doing an Epq as it is mandatory at the sixth for I am at

History, I want to study it at University and hopefully become an archivist.

I stayed on at the sixth form at the high school I went to.

Anxious but also excited to get started.

Quite like going on walks. Also, Peaky Blinders is back on now so that'll be my life for the next five weeks.

Studying subjects I actually like the content of. Only history was offered at GCSE level at my school so politics and psychology will be a nice addition.
(edited 4 years ago)

Hey, sorry I'm not year 12 though :smile:

We get them on the first day, which is 3 September for me
What’s your name?
Maria or Ria for short

How were GCSEs
I haven’t had a good year mentally and although I did pretty well I was disappointed. I’m hopefully starting therapy soon and I hope that’ll help with my motivation and procrastination issues as well as how I obsess about being the best and constantly compare myself to others.

What A-levels are you taking?
English Lit (wjec)
Politics(wjec)
History(wjec)
German(tbc)
Maths(wjec)
Yes I know this is a lot I’m planning on dropping one ASAP I’m just bad at making decisions lol

Favourite Subject?
History or Maths

New school or staying?
I’m going to college whoop! I’m going from a private school of 120 people to a college of 2000 which should be interesting.

Feelings about year 12?
Ok so I’m hyped about starting college and meeting new people and all that jazz but a levels themselves I’m a little scared I won’t be able to cope with them or I won’t do as well as I want.

Hobbies or interests?
Musical theatre, singing, cooking.

What are you looking forward to?
Making new friends, doing all subjects that I like, extracurriculars.

Any welsh peeps joint the Seren Network or HE+ program, I got in by the skin of my teeth but I’m excited for it!

Latest