The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hey i have recently decided to apply for medicine. i am in year 12 and was wondering if anyone else here is also doing medicine, and if so what extra things do u recommend i could do to help me for example work experience opportunists or extra qualifications/awards ect.

in particular i was wondering if anyone knows of any research project experience opportunists
Reply 421
Original post by 8013
Don't worry. Just do more past papers and more exercises, and make sure you understand the concepts.

I got 93% in my Chemistry test after doing 115 pages of past paper exercises, and 85% in my Physics test after achieving Mastery in 2 Khan Academy units, as well as doing 16 years of past papers.

thats mad , im going to use that as motivation to work hard and better my esssays
Original post by BishBash726
hey i have recently decided to apply for medicine. i am in year 12 and was wondering if anyone else here is also doing medicine, and if so what extra things do u recommend i could do to help me for example work experience opportunists or extra qualifications/awards ect.

in particular i was wondering if anyone knows of any research project experience opportunists

I have the exact same question if anyone could help! I know that volunteering is good, and so is variedwork experience in a clincal setting but it's more important that you can reflect off the experience

I want to try for medicine as well! From what I have heard, year 12 is also incredibly important, so work hard and keep on top of your work, as year 12 exams decide predictions, so in my opinion revising a lot for your subjects and getting the best predictions possible should be your top priority. As for work experience, it is more about the quality of them than the quantity - the main goal of them is to pick out what you learned from it ( for example communication skills). I would recommend things like volunteering in a care home, shadowing, or even working at a pharmacy. Good luck and I hope we manage to get in! Medicine is definitely tough but with the effort it is definitely possible
Original post by hiiiii1
I want to try for medicine as well! From what I have heard, year 12 is also incredibly important, so work hard and keep on top of your work, as year 12 exams decide predictions, so in my opinion revising a lot for your subjects and getting the best predictions possible should be your top priority. As for work experience, it is more about the quality of them than the quantity - the main goal of them is to pick out what you learned from it ( for example communication skills). I would recommend things like volunteering in a care home, shadowing, or even working at a pharmacy. Good luck and I hope we manage to get in! Medicine is definitely tough but with the effort it is definitely possible

thank you so mcuh and yes grades should defo be a top priority i just find that i keep slacking but i need to try to work harder now
Original post by AA3005
I have the exact same question if anyone could help! I know that volunteering is good, and so is variedwork experience in a clincal setting but it's more important that you can reflect off the experience

yeah defo ive read that it helps to keep a diary any time you do any work experience so u can write down what u learn and use it later so u dont forget
thank you so mcuh and yes grades should defo be a top priority i just find that i keep slacking but i need to try to work harder now

You're welcome! Even I was pretty disappointed with my mock results, but as long as you learn from your mistakes and keep working, you'll be fine
Incase if you all needed good website to prepare for your exams I got some not famous but awesome website, for physics https://notesnsolutions.com/
For biology http://www.sumanasinc.com/webcontent/animation.html for animation
Reply 428
I am going to do 195 questions per day in both Physics and Chemistry for my next tests. I will do it for every day except Jan 25-27 for Chinese New Year. This will run until 2 Feb.
Now, the total number of questions I will have done is:
16*195*2=6240 (3120 Physics and 3120 Chemistry)
Do you think it is enough, or it is TOO MUCH?
This might be of interest to anyone doing one or more STEM based A levels :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6310174
Reply 430
Anyone doing BPhO questions for general practice?
Original post by 8013
I am going to do 195 questions per day in both Physics and Chemistry for my next tests. I will do it for every day except Jan 25-27 for Chinese New Year. This will run until 2 Feb.

where do you find all these questions
Original post by Fozroja
where do you find all these questions

Physics and maths tutor is my go to!
hi does any1 have any advice on any extra/super curriculars that i should do if i want to do a maths degree. i’ve already started a couple of MOOCs but i don’t know where to start with extra reading as there are so many resources.
Original post by 8013

Practise is important so doing alot is not an issue but don't try to cramp in and make sure you do past paper questions and correct it using the marking scheme provided by the exam board
Hi guys
I've been wondering what I can do outside of school to put on my personal statement and talk about in an interview
Does anyone have any ideas? Idk what I'm gonna do at uni maybe something to do with maths or teaching
Reply 436
Happy Chinese New Year to everyone on this thread!
If anyone here is doing Mandarin GCE, and you are struggling on issues about festivals, I can send you a private message of my diary for today, as I will be visiting my relatives for Chinese New Year.
Original post by RazzzBerries
[scrollr]:blow: Welcome to The Current Year 12 Chat Thread (2019-2020)! :blow:[/scrollr]

Ayyy #2002-2003Babies :woo:

Crikey, we've moved to the A-Levels section now. :creep:

Here we will study.
Here we will learn and have fun.
Here we will complain because life's decided to curse us with another year of agony and despair

This is our little Year 12 space where we can get to know each other and ask for study help etc! :yep: :rave:

Anyway, roll on the mandatory questions...

ICEBREAKERS :grouphugs:

Spoiler

i started my a levels in October 2019. I had recently moved to shanghai in September from a small village in the UK. The change was extremely difficult and overwhelming but i am slowly getting to grips with my life in Shanghai. Although I'm struggling to make many friends as the sixth form (Y12 &Y13) at my school has only 8 people altogether.
Overall, i thought GCSE's at the time were so hard and I was clever but i really had to work my a** off to get my grades as most my teachers didn't expect much of me to only get 5/6/7.
I am taking AS levels atm including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology with CIE (cambridge international AS & A levels). I am struggling to keep up my grades. I have organised my folders and done notes but I'm struggling to "absorb" the information. idk whether this is just due to a lack of understanding or what. My favourite subjects are biology and chemistry although I recently had my mock exams and got a U in biology and an overall D in chemistry.
I am finding my new school really hard with new teachers and new teaching styles, as i attended my last school for over 7 years and I had formed many relationships with my teachers and they know what worked best for me.
I want to do Veterinary Medicine at university and I am applying for the Pre-Vet summer school held by RVC but not many places are given ( only 50 out of thousands). I am very anxious about my AS exams this year in May-June.
My hobbies include
watching A LOT of Netflix ( i think i have a problem)
i listen to music 24/7 no joke
ps sorry i wrote so much :////
Reply 438
Original post by Dilshani8
Practise is important so doing alot is not an issue but don't try to cramp in and make sure you do past paper questions and correct it using the marking scheme provided by the exam board

I often correct it stricter than the exam board, which is only exact wording can be accepted, and as a result I underestimated my score by 20 marks on a paper!
Reply 439
I am going to make a PowerPoint about Group 1 and 2 metals. If anyone wants this PowerPoint please send me your gmail address in private message. It will be ready by Saturday.

Latest