The Student Room Group

applying for medicine

hello i am going into year 13 and am/ was about to apply for medicine. I have started watching some documentaries about junior doctors and ngl it looks traumatic as a job. I would say I am quite well researched about the job but I had some fears about it and actually hearing the doctors verbalise the same fears I assumed they would have from hearing more about the job is scary. I don't know if I should do it anymore because i am watching what these doctors are going through and just feel sorry for them. Would I be crazy to put myself in the same position as the doctors I feel sorry for?

Am I just signing up to a hard life?

How true to life are these documentaries?
Original post by Anonymous
hello i am going into year 13 and am/ was about to apply for medicine. I have started watching some documentaries about junior doctors and ngl it looks traumatic as a job. I would say I am quite well researched about the job but I had some fears about it and actually hearing the doctors verbalise the same fears I assumed they would have from hearing more about the job is scary. I don't know if I should do it anymore because i am watching what these doctors are going through and just feel sorry for them. Would I be crazy to put myself in the same position as the doctors I feel sorry for?

I’d talk to doctors/med students that you actually know before taking advice from documentaries. What fears exactly do you have?
Reply 2
Have you done any work experience in a health/care setting that would give you practical experience of what it could entail?
Reply 3
What do you mean?

Why is life as a senior better?
Reply 4
Original post by Daniel100499
I’d talk to doctors/med students that you actually know before taking advice from documentaries. What fears exactly do you have?

I have spoken to some doctors and hopefully will get some more work experience this year to find out more from them. I doubt I will be able to get any more before my application needs to be sent off though. These documentaries match up to what I have heard about the job so I think they are probably quite true.

An example of one of the fears I have is in this particular documentary the nurses had to take some blood and weren't able to. They asked the junior doc to do a femoral stab and she had never done it before. Things like that would freak me out as the doctor clearly didn't feel confident doing it but felt under pressure to do it anyways. I guess it's just the responsibility these doctors are under. Another patient got really sick in the middle of the night and she didn't know what to do. She kept saying she wishes she could just press pause or wait for the ground to swallow her up.

Which documentary? In general they are quite edited, I wouldn't see them as being fully representative of what the job is like.

It is a hard job, but you get better at it with time. Most of the time you're actually too busy to be scared - the "what if" moments and self-doubt happen afterwards when you're at home :tongue:

Would you be crazy for putting yourself in the same position? Surely this depends on your reasons for wanting to do it in the first place.
Reply 6
Original post by Laycity
Have you done any work experience in a health/care setting that would give you practical experience of what it could entail?

Yes i did some but i would like to maybe get some more before i start which is going to be next september i don't know what i would be able to get though because i have emailed the hospital asking to shadow someone but they said that they can't offer anything like that due to popular demand
I have spoken to some doctors and hopefully will get some more work experience this year to find out more from them. I doubt I will be able to get any more before my application needs to be sent off though. These documentaries match up to what I have heard about the job so I think they are probably quite true.

An example of one of the fears I have is in this particular documentary the nurses had to take some blood and weren't able to. They asked the junior doc to do a femoral stab and she had never done it before. Things like that would freak me out as the doctor clearly didn't feel confident doing it but felt under pressure to do it anyways. I guess it's just the responsibility these doctors are under. Another patient got really sick in the middle of the night and she didn't know what to do. She kept saying she wishes she could just press pause or wait for the ground to swallow her up.

A doctor would never be expected to do something on a real patient they haven’t practiced previously, she may not have done it on a patient before but she would have been taught how to do it. I would also like to point out that not all doctors are competent, graduating med school doesn’t mean you’ll be a good, competent doctor, but if you understand this early on you’ve already got a head start to becoming a good doctor
Reply 8
Original post by Daniel100499
A doctor would never be expected to do something on a real patient they haven’t practiced previously, she may not have done it on a patient before but she would have been taught how to do it. I would also like to point out that not all doctors are competent, graduating med school doesn’t mean you’ll be a good, competent doctor, but if you understand this early on you’ve already got a head start to becoming a good doctor

ok i see thank you. Are you at medical school?
ok i see thank you. Are you at medical school?

Yeah I’m at peninsula med school currently, starting back next week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending