The Student Room Group

Part-time jobs!

Hi all,
Since starting sixth form I am keen on finding a part time job and have applied to many places but no one has come back to me.
I live near Leeds/ Huddersfield area so if anyone has any suggestions/ knows anyone who has any potential vacancies please could you tell me.
I have little experience but I always try my best...
Please help!
Thank You
Original post by rp_020
Hi all,
Since starting sixth form I am keen on finding a part time job and have applied to many places but no one has come back to me.
I live near Leeds/ Huddersfield area so if anyone has any suggestions/ knows anyone who has any potential vacancies please could you tell me.
Please help!
Thank You

Honestly I’ve also found it difficult to find a job, so don’t worry. There are Christmas temp positions coming up which I’m going to try, as sometimes they may lead to a more permanent job. I’ve also heard companies hire quite a few temps so there’s a better chance of getting a job...

atm I know that the entertainer and WH Smith are hiring Christmas temps if you’re interested:smile:
Original post by rp_020
I live near Leeds/ Huddersfield area

Original post by S.carter
x

Definitely try the White Rose Shopping Centre, especially near the holiday season, there are often an awful lot of jobs available :smile:
Reply 3
Honestly I’ve also found it difficult to find a job, so don’t worry. There are Christmas temp positions coming up which I’m going to try, as sometimes they may lead to a more permanent job. I’ve also heard companies hire quite a few temps so there’s a better chance of getting a job...

atm I know that the entertainer and WH Smith are hiring Christmas temps if you’re interested:smile:

Hi! Honestly it is so difficult to find a vacancy nowadays because they want people with a lot of experience but then again they aren't giving us any so...
Oh yeah please could you tell me about those two, that would be appreciated :smile:
Thanks!

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by TwistedIvy
Definitely try the White Rose Shopping Centre, especially near the holiday season, there are often an awful lot of jobs available :smile:

Okay, Thank you...
Any tips on how to write a good CV?
I'm kind of losing hope because I've applied to so many and not had any luck.
Original post by rp_020
Okay, Thank you...
Any tips on how to write a good CV?
I'm kind of losing hope because I've applied to so many and not had any luck.

I had trouble with my CV at first too, but then I actually got feedback on it from a place I applied to, and they told me how to fix it, and now I'm consistently getting interviews :smile:

The main problem with my CV was that I was listing what I had done, but not really saying the skills/experience that I gained from doing those things.
Original post by rp_020
Hi! Honestly it is so difficult to find a vacancy nowadays because they want people with a lot of experience but then again they aren't giving us any so...
Oh yeah please could you tell me about those two, that would be appreciated :smile:
Thanks!

Spoiler

I know they have positions available in Plymouth, so I’m guessing they’ll have some vacancies for other places :smile:
I found them on indeed.
Others like M&S and card shops will probably hire more people for Christmas, too.

Yup, it doesn’t make sense because everyone wants experience but no one is willing to give any :/
Yup, it doesn’t make sense because everyone wants experience but no one is willing to give any :/

I did a lot of volunteering before I got my first job, and it definitely is something that employers look at :smile: I was able to apply a lot of what I had done during volunteering to questions that they would ask at interview ("tell me about a time you / worked as a team / under pressure / to targets / provided excellent customer service").
Reply 8
Original post by TwistedIvy
I did a lot of volunteering before I got my first job, and it definitely is something that employers look at :smile: I was able to apply a lot of what I had done during volunteering to questions that they would ask at interview ("tell me about a time you / worked as a team / under pressure / to targets / provided excellent customer service").

Yeah, my mum said the same thing haha
I recently applied to a volunteering job with the RSPCA charity shop and I managed to get it, I am actually so thrilled, but so nervous at the same time because this is my first time dealing with customers. So i have no idea what to do or how to act...
Any advice ?
Thanks
Original post by rp_020
Hi all,
Please help!
Thank You

Try mcdonalds.
They take on a lot of students and are very flexible.
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
Try mcdonalds.
They take on a lot of students and are very flexible.

I have tried macdonalds but they ask for previous employers references which is necessary. I have no experience whatsoever lol
Original post by rp_020
I have tried macdonalds but they ask for previous employers references which is necessary. I have no experience whatsoever lol

99% of workplaces ask for a reference.
You can use a tutor from school/college as a reference. You can also ask someone from any clubs or societies that you are part of or someone from any volunteering etc that you have done.
Reply 12
Oh okay.
What if I do not have any good references ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending