The Student Room Group

Doing a postgraduate degree in a department which has problems?

HI there,

I'm currently applying for my MA + PhD (some together, some separate, depending on the university). I have 4 options. Let's call them Department A - D.

A - my old university, been tipped off by a tutor that 2 lecturers are leaving next year (1 retirement, 1 end of FTC), and 2 more the year after (retirement). Another is already leaving this year, and it's not the biggest department. There is no guarantee that they replace them all and I don't really want to sign up for a PhD then my supervisors retire within a year. Does anyone have any experience of this? They don't have all of the modules I want and I'm very concerned about the retirements and people leaving - surely this is a warning sign? They are also dropping their entry requirements which makes me seem as though they are a bit desperate.

B - highly competitive, best course, lacking of funding opportunities and I got rejected in the last cycle. Was encouraged to reapply and work on my proposal which I have, and I think it's a lot stronger than it was last year, but there are only 2 funding opportunities I can apply for, both of which are highly competitive.

C - promising and they like my research but highly competitive, probably my best chance but again depends on funding because the fees are higher than the postgraduate loan. They seem keen on me and my research and 2 PhDs have been putting in good words for me, but again, it depends on the funding.

D - cheapest course but waiting to hear on their fees for 2020 because it's in the EU . . . Probably the best course and I would go there in a heartbeat but they can't guarantee what the fees will be until the government sorts itself out.

C and B are my first choices, in that order, but they are both very competitive (4+ applicants per place). Should I just take A where I have a verbal offer and can probably easily get in, or save up for a bit longer and go to one of the others if I can get in? I don't want to sign my own death warrant but I also do want to do my postgrad :frown:

Any advice would be welcome!
Original post by Cold Currents
HI there,

I'm currently applying for my MA + PhD (some together, some separate, depending on the university). I have 4 options. Let's call them Department A - D.

A - my old university, been tipped off by a tutor that 2 lecturers are leaving next year (1 retirement, 1 end of FTC), and 2 more the year after (retirement). Another is already leaving this year, and it's not the biggest department. There is no guarantee that they replace them all and I don't really want to sign up for a PhD then my supervisors retire within a year. Does anyone have any experience of this? They don't have all of the modules I want and I'm very concerned about the retirements and people leaving - surely this is a warning sign? They are also dropping their entry requirements which makes me seem as though they are a bit desperate.

B - highly competitive, best course, lacking of funding opportunities and I got rejected in the last cycle. Was encouraged to reapply and work on my proposal which I have, and I think it's a lot stronger than it was last year, but there are only 2 funding opportunities I can apply for, both of which are highly competitive.

C - promising and they like my research but highly competitive, probably my best chance but again depends on funding because the fees are higher than the postgraduate loan. They seem keen on me and my research and 2 PhDs have been putting in good words for me, but again, it depends on the funding.

D - cheapest course but waiting to hear on their fees for 2020 because it's in the EU . . . Probably the best course and I would go there in a heartbeat but they can't guarantee what the fees will be until the government sorts itself out.

C and B are my first choices, in that order, but they are both very competitive (4+ applicants per place). Should I just take A where I have a verbal offer and can probably easily get in, or save up for a bit longer and go to one of the others if I can get in? I don't want to sign my own death warrant but I also do want to do my postgrad :frown:

Any advice would be welcome!

If I were you, I would completely discount Department A. There is too much uncertainty and instability there. B and C sound like good options, so I think your instincts are right regarding them.
Original post by Cold Currents

There's no decision to make until you have offers after all 4 have played out. With a final set of offers in hand, the pro's and con's might well measure up very differently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending