The Student Room Group

17 and 23

I am 17 and my boyfriend is 23 - my mother kicked me out because of this, before even learning his name or anything about him, now she is trying to come back into my life???

Scroll to see replies

She was probably worried/scared for you. I’m not against age gap relationships, but looking at this from your mums perspective, it is quite concerning since you’re under 18 aswell. You should tell her how she made you feel and give her another chance in my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by sammyj97
She was probably worried/scared for you. I’m not against age gap relationships, but looking at this from your mums perspective, it is quite concerning since you’re under 18 aswell. You should tell her how she made you feel and give her another chance in my opinion.

but she kicked me out?? she kicked me out knowing i can’t stay with my father as he lives 6 hours away, she knew my only choice was to go and live with my boyfriend, now she wants to talk to me again because she’s heard he has a good job
I don't understand why she would do that as your safety is at even more risk as you are not in her care. You are with a guy that she knows nothing about. But the age gap is pretty normal. Maybe just wait until your 18 so your mum can calm tf down?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I don't understand why she would do that as your safety is at even more risk as you are not in her care. You are with a guy that she knows nothing about. But the age gap is pretty normal. Maybe just wait until your 18 so your mum can calm tf down?

i do understand that, but in my defence 16 is the age of consent here 🌚 i just cant, no matter how hard i try, see it from her perspective because she refused to even learn his name
Hear her out. This is a chance to repair things. Don't cut your mother out of your life when you're still so young.
Reply 6
Original post by sinfonietta
Hear her out. This is a chance to repair things. Don't cut your mother out of your life when you're still so young.

i wanna but i’m so scared she’s just gonna come back to try and break us up or something
*pedo bear has entered the room*

she's worried for your safety, that's a strange age gap for a 17yo
I am 17 and my boyfriend is 23 - my mother kicked me out because of this, before even learning his name or anything about him, now she is trying to come back into my life???

Don't get me wrong, she probably was worried for you, but kicking you out is the stupidest thing she could have ever done in that situation. She most likely realised she overreacted and made a mistake. Also, 16 is the age of consent however that is for someone within the same age range, such as if your boyfriend was 18 or 19. 23 is a bit old, hun.
Reply 9
Original post by eutrophication1
*pedo bear has entered the room*

she's worried for your safety, that's a strange age gap for a 17yo

>worried for my safety
>kicks me out knowing my only choice is to live with him
>worried for my safety
>kicks me out knowing my only choice is to live with him

she was probably really pissed and now really regrets it :s-smilie:
Original post by yaja_jaswal
Don't get me wrong, she probably was worried for you, but kicking you out is the stupidest thing she could have ever done in that situation. She most likely realised she overreacted and made a mistake. Also, 16 is the age of consent however that is for someone within the same age range, such as if your boyfriend was 18 or 19. 23 is a bit old, hun.

really? for the uk? childline lied to me i guess, on another note i’ve been living with him for almost 9 months and she’s only just now tried to contact me
really? for the uk? childline lied to me i guess, on another note i’ve been living with him for almost 9 months and she’s only just now tried to contact me

I mean anyone dating someone under the age of 18 when they're well over is seen as a paedophile, but it depends on the relationship. As for your mum, if she took 9 months to contact you then honestly, she might have had to be convinced to contact you. That's a long time to not be in contact with your child. Did she mention her wanting you to come back home or was it merely a 'how are you?"
Reply 13
but she kicked me out?? she kicked me out knowing i can’t stay with my father as he lives 6 hours away, she knew my only choice was to go and live with my boyfriend, now she wants to talk to me again because she’s heard he has a good job

kicking you out like that was unforgivable imo

That's not a reason to kick someone out.

If I were in your shoes I would tell her to F*** off, and say I want nothing to do with her
Original post by yaja_jaswal
I mean anyone dating someone under the age of 18 when they're well over is seen as a paedophile, but it depends on the relationship. As for your mum, if she took 9 months to contact you then honestly, she might have had to be convinced to contact you. That's a long time to not be in contact with your child. Did she mention her wanting you to come back home or was it merely a 'how are you?"

it was literally just a “hello how are you”
it was literally just a “hello how are you”

Honestly, I would reply. If you think something is fishy you hold the power here. You can cut ties with her if you feel like she isn't being serious or is still unwilling to find out more about your relationship.
Original post by ANM775
kicking you out like that was unforgivable imo

That's not a reason to kick someone out.

If I were in your shoes I would tell her to F*** off, and say I want nothing to do with her

i’m really tempted
I don't blame her for having reservations about the relationship but kicking you out is unforgivable. You're right in that it can't be much to do with your safety if by kicking you out it meant you'd have nowhere to go other than live with your boyfriend. If you want to let her back into your life, that's your decision, but tread carefully and don't let her manipulate you.

Wait...so how old are you now, and how old were you when you first started going out
Would have disowned her personally. If she was worried for your safety she shouldn't have kicked you out when you only had his to go to. As for the age gap it is not that big, it depends on the person really. It would be worrying if you were 16 or under but older than that as long as you are consenting and mature enough it's just prejudice for someone to reject it without meeting the person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending