The Student Room Group

What is the punishment or is it illegal to not attend sixth form?

So I just finished school had my holidays and I hate sixth form. I have to go to this one as it’s the only one that doesn’t require you to apply for it. Im applying to loads of apprenticeships as we speak I just need to wait until I get one. What would happen if I just stopped going to this sixth form? Would I be fined or could they not do anything? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
surely you could just go and apply for apprenticeships on the side? you're under 18 I'm assuming.
It is illegal. You will be sent to an internment camp if you miss more than one day.
Reply 3
Original post by Aaryra
surely you could just go and apply for apprenticeships on the side? you're under 18 I'm assuming.

That’s what I’ve been doing but atm I’m just really hating sixth form.
Don't just randomly stop going. You should Officially drop out of the sixth form if you no longer want to go. I think after 16 you don't have to attend school in UK as long as you pass maths and English I think.
Original post by Enzo.Montana
Don't just randomly stop going. You should Officially drop out of the sixth form if you no longer want to go. I think after 16 you don't have to attend school in UK as long as you pass maths and English I think.

I believe you have to be in some sort of full-time education until the age of 18. That can be college, sixth form or an apprenticeship generally.

By the way OP, isn’t it too late to apply for apprenticeships anyway?

If you hate sixth form, change your subjects, or is it the actual atmosphere you dislike?

You need to stay in sixth form. My attendance last year was like 89% which is sh*t but there are people in my school with attendances of 80% who often had meetings with the head as a warning they’ll be kicked out. How long will it take for your apprenticeship process to finish? When will you be told if you’re successful?
Reply 6
Original post by Aaryra
I believe you have to be in some sort of full-time education until the age of 18. That can be college, sixth form or an apprenticeship generally.

By the way OP, isn’t it too late to apply for apprenticeships anyway?

If you hate sixth form, change your subjects, or is it the actual atmosphere you dislike?

You need to stay in sixth form. My attendance last year was like 89% which is sh*t but there are people in my school with attendances of 80% who often had meetings with the head as a warning they’ll be kicked out. How long will it take for your apprenticeship process to finish? When will you be told if you’re successful?

Honestly it’s the atmosphere that I hate, and I’ve applied for quite a few but I have to wait until the interviews. But I’ve also thought about doing an apprenticeship in the navy or raf.
Original post by Aguy12345
Honestly it’s the atmosphere that I hate, and I’ve applied for quite a few but I have to wait until the interviews. But I’ve also thought about doing an apprenticeship in the navy or raf.

Everyone I know who did an apprenticeship had it sorted by this time. I’m surprised you’re doing it now. There’s unfortunately not much you can do, what’s your attendance like now?
Original post by Aguy12345
So I just finished school had my holidays and I hate sixth form. I have to go to this one as it’s the only one that doesn’t require you to apply for it. Im applying to loads of apprenticeships as we speak I just need to wait until I get one. What would happen if I just stopped going to this sixth form? Would I be fined or could they not do anything? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing they will do is have a meeting which are always for bad reasons with parents. Then they will kick you out of sixth form.

Latest