The Student Room Group

Will police caution affect my place at university?

Hello,
I am about to start my Masters this fall, it will be in Neuroscience. However, last year I made a very stupid mistake and was given a simple caution for sexual activity in a public place, nothing too explicit or extreme happened and there weren’t any witnesses as it was behind a door. I was not arrested, charged, or convicted, was only told to come to the police station at a later date to get the caution and it is spent. Police officer also told me that the offense is not considered a sexual offence but one of disturbing public order. My question is will it affect my chances of securing my position in the programme?
I have already been admitted, hold an unconditional offer and I’m due to enrol officially in a couple of weeks and start my studies. At no point during the admission process was I asked to disclose cautions or apply for a DBS check. However, I received an email saying that later during the first semester all students in the programme have to get an enhanced DBS check done, as we might have supervised observational sessions with patients. Do you think this caution would cause me problems at that later stage or even become reason to have my contract terminated?
I’m sorry for the long post, I’m just very scared and would really appreciate your help! Thank you!
Reply 1
I’ve known of people who were cautioned for peeing in a bush and then on an enhanced DBS it got exposed and they didn’t get sacked however if they were applying as a new candidate, it would have to be explained
Reply 2
Thank you for your response! I would appreciate if anyone else has additional thoughts or opinions on the matter! Thank you!
Each case will be assessed and considered on its particular merits, and may depend on the crime type your caution was recorded under by the police.

You don't give enough detail for an accurate answer, but there's a handy flow chart here that may assist:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q89.htm

Also, bear in mind one of the principal concepts of any vetting process is displaying integrity and honesty. If you are required to answer any questions, then think long and hard if you wish to deceive - there's an old saying that goes "the cover up is worse than the crime".

Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Rick Ape
Each case will be assessed and considered on its particular merits, and may depend on the crime type your caution was recorded under by the police.

You don't give enough detail for an accurate answer, but there's a handy flow chart here that may assist:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q89.htm

Also, bear in mind one of the principal concepts of any vetting process is displaying integrity and honesty. If you are required to answer any questions, then think long and hard if you wish to deceive - there's an old saying that goes "the cover up is worse than the crime".

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer! The offence was recorded under the type ‘Outraging Public Decency’ which encompasses various minor disturbances to public order and is found under the Common Law. It is not governed by the Sexual Offences Act and is therefore not a sexual offence. I was told it was a minor, summary offence. This is all the information about it, together with what I said in the first post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending