The Student Room Group

Can I still do a maths degree without A-level further maths?

So I’ve just started my A-levels, and am taking history, maths and physics. I got an 8 at gcse in all 3 subjects. I did not expect it in maths at all as I’ve never gotten over a 7 but I’ve always enjoyed it so I knew I’d do a-level maths. Not once did I think I’d be able to do further maths (I’ve never been top of my class) but I was just wondering if it’s a necessity to do for a degree in maths? I was thinking about doing either a history degree or a physics and maths combined but wasn’t sure whether further maths was needed. I think if I was to be a teacher, I’d teach maths or physics which is why I’m wondering whether further maths is essential for the degree? I don’t want to do four subjects as mine are already going to take a lot of work but if anyone can let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
you can, but you'd probably struggle - there'd be a lot of extra work in your first year.

also depends on the uni, some might ask for STEP if you don't have further maths.
Original post by clarecassar
So I’ve just started my A-levels, and am taking history, maths and physics. I got an 8 at gcse in all 3 subjects. I did not expect it in maths at all as I’ve never gotten over a 7 but I’ve always enjoyed it so I knew I’d do a-level maths. Not once did I think I’d be able to do further maths (I’ve never been top of my class) but I was just wondering if it’s a necessity to do for a degree in maths? I was thinking about doing either a history degree or a physics and maths combined but wasn’t sure whether further maths was needed. I think if I was to be a teacher, I’d teach maths or physics which is why I’m wondering whether further maths is essential for the degree? I don’t want to do four subjects as mine are already going to take a lot of work but if anyone can let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can do a Maths degree at some universities. Check any you are particularly looking at as some do require double Maths.
I’m in year 13 and i wanna do a maths degree i do a level bio chem maths, and i’m thinking of taking an AS exam in fm (self taught) with my a levels but im not sure
Original post by clarecassar

It depends on the university, so check out the entry requirements for the course. For many, further maths won't be essential but may be useful in your studies.
Top universities will be out of reach without Further Maths. This will include Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Bath and probably a few others.

Apart from that, other universities won't have explicit requirements and I suspect you can find Freedom of Information requests that give you some application statistics. Do bear in mind that some of other applicants to these institutions will have FM and also that FM is a huge boost in terms of getting through first year.
Reply 6
Original post by BasicMistake
Top universities will be out of reach without Further Maths. This will include Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Bath and probably a few others.

Apart from that, other universities won't have explicit requirements and I suspect you can find Freedom of Information requests that give you some application statistics. Do bear in mind that some of other applicants to these institutions will have FM and also that FM is a huge boost in terms of getting through first year.

Agree completely, my college doesn't do FM and I'm looking at studying maths at university also.

There's still a lot of the RG universities open to you, other than the ones listed above. So by no means will you not be able to get into a RG university; it just means that your pool of universities for maths is narrower.

Have you thought about studying A/S Further Maths over two years if FM a-level is not available to you? Not only will this enhance your prospects in regards to your application, but will also give you a step up to get you through first year.

From my understanding in regards to studying pure physics, universities are a lot more lenient on requiring FM. For example Oxford lists FM as "Helpful may be useful on course", and Imperial wants an "A*/A in a third subject" without mentioning the need for FM.

Quick Reply

Latest