The Student Room Group

English and RS GCSE

I'm currently in Year 11 and am in top sets for maths and sciences and predicted high grades for these. However, at our school, we are forced to take English Language, English Lit and RS. I am really bad at writing essays - as in grade 3 - 4. Is there any way I can improve my grades to 6s and 7s at least? I feel like I understand the content but don't know how to put it into an essay - my teachers in all of these subjects always say my writing is too wordy.
Original post by amelia3
I'm currently in Year 11 and am in top sets for maths and sciences and predicted high grades for these. However, at our school, we are forced to take English Language, English Lit and RS. I am really bad at writing essays - as in grade 3 - 4. Is there any way I can improve my grades to 6s and 7s at least? I feel like I understand the content but don't know how to put it into an essay - my teachers in all of these subjects always say my writing is too wordy.

Hey, I might be able to help you. I got 9s in English Lit, Lang and RS last year - what are your exam boards? Don't worry about it, I got these grades before my exams. You'll be able to get at least a 7.
check mr salles on youtube for english lang and lit
Original post by klassyeels
Hey, I might be able to help you. I got 9s in English Lit, Lang and RS last year - what are your exam boards? Don't worry about it, I got these grades before my exams. You'll be able to get at least a 7.

I'm doing AQA in both - is there any way to practise because I do some past papers in maths, sciences etc. but to be honest I can't actually tell when my writing is wordy or not so it seems pointless doing past papers!
Original post by sqrt of 5
check mr salles on youtube for english lang and lit

okay thank you
Original post by amelia3
I'm doing AQA in both - is there any way to practise because I do some past papers in maths, sciences etc. but to be honest I can't actually tell when my writing is wordy or not so it seems pointless doing past papers!

okay, AQA RS is fine don't worry, I did it. I was told my stuff is too wordy (I can read stuff you've written if you want, feel free to email me!) Just make sure you understand the format of the exam, for example, 6 marks = 6 point-evidence-explains; You don't have to go into lots of depth. Just be direct - they're just looking for the points like a shopping list. i.e. Muslims believe that [...] is considered a sin; this is discussed in the Hadith. Make sure you know all of the words of both religions you are studying, eg if you're studying Islam like I did, make sure you know Jannah/Jahannam. Remember you DO NOT get marked down for repeating yourself, so there is nothing stopping you from using a quote like 'love thy neighbour' four times over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending