The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 1
callum9999
Does anyone know roughly what time the events start on the open days? I am a 6 hour train ride away so will be quite tight for time - it would probably be best if I go up the day before actually.

its starts around 930/10. ooh ramsgate, i remember doing birmingham to canterbury for the Kent open day and that took me 5hours so i can feel the pain haha.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Yes, these days do tend to start quite early. I've been to two open days at Sheffield. One started at around 9.30, and the other didn't start til 12ish. Its probably best to get there early though just so you make the most of the day.

I've stayed in the Sheffield Central Travelodge and it was actually alright. Its in good walking distance from the town centre and only a tram ride to the uni.
I'm going to that, and my department's speech is meant to be at 10am. Sorry that I'm useless! Anyone else going solo? I think I may be, so if you see a small child walking around aimlessly, do say hello.
Reply 4
anyone going to the architecture lecture on wednesday at 12?
Reply 5
It depends on what subject lecture you're going to. Check the University of Sheffield website? (Under the Book a place thing, select your day and you can see what times the departmental talks are)

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/opendays/

I'm going to the Medicine talk at 12.30 :smile:
Reply 6
I think theres a generel intro to the uni talk at 10.00am or 2.00pm so if you've got 6 hours to go you could get there for 12ish. There are also accomodation tours throughout the day with the last one at 3.30pm.
Have you booked? If you have you should have recievd a thingy through the post with all the times on, including subjecy specific talks.
I'm going to the music one at 1.00pm :smile:
Reply 7
im going, spent a bomb on a train ticket. me and a mate are getting at 05:43 train..
law talk isn't till 1pm though :smile:
ahhhhhhhhh i dont know what building my talk is in!

i booked the politics one, but missed where it was. anyone have any idea?
Reply 9
ok does anyone know where we can park? or is there a park and ride thing going on at all?
Reply 10
Well according to the prospectus -

Supertram park and ride-
From the M1, use the nunnery square or meadowhall interchange park and ride sites, and take the yellow route towards middlewood. Apparently the Meadowhall one is often busy with shoopers, (as you might expect).
pinkpenguin
ahhhhhhhhh i dont know what building my talk is in!

i booked the politics one, but missed where it was. anyone have any idea?

It's probably in Elmfield - try giving the department a ring if you're still stuck.

Edit: I have to say this *after* the event - sorry for being a plonker and not checking the date!
Reply 12
scaryhair
It depends on what subject lecture you're going to. Check the University of Sheffield website? (Under the Book a place thing, select your day and you can see what times the departmental talks are)

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/opendays/

I'm going to the Medicine talk at 12.30 :smile:

I went to that as well, what did you think of it?
callum9999
I went to that as well, what did you think of it?

It was good I think, I am loving the amount of social stuff they've got going on there with the MedSoc :biggrin: I think it's going to be one of my choices.
I've been to a few other open days so the content of the presentation didn't actually vary that much from the others, but I was mostly there just to see what the students thought of it and what the location is like.
What did you think?
Reply 14
scaryhair
It was good I think, I am loving the amount of social stuff they've got going on there with the MedSoc :biggrin: I think it's going to be one of my choices.
I've been to a few other open days so the content of the presentation didn't actually vary that much from the others, but I was mostly there just to see what the students thought of it and what the location is like.
What did you think?

I thought the university was really good but I was a bit put off when I heard one of the students say the first 2 years are almost purely lectures (I thought the presentation said it was more PBL stuff though like tutorials etc. so that could be wrong).
I really liked it too. If I apply to Sheffield, and I have to decide between Sheffield and other Universities, I think the Paternoster in the Art Tower will play a massive role in my decision, it's great!
Reply 16
haha I took a ride in the legend that is the Paternoster! I enjoyed it as well, accommodation looks decent, and the talk was pretty good. :smile:
Reply 17
mart1203
I enjoyed it as well, accommodation looks decent, and the talk was pretty good. :smile:

I thought Sheffild looked great, and the fact the music department is moving into the central campus in a new building also makes it seem good!!

But the accomodation! wow!! It looks really good and nice.. i'm talking about Endcliffe villlage.. The Edge in it also was pretty good and the bar was really nice.

So yer, Sheffield has made it into one of my top 5 i think

:biggrin:
Reply 18
I didn't go to Endcliffe Village, maybe should have but I just looked around the one adjacent to that beautiful park (probably the Egde?)
Reply 19
glad you lot liked the open day, wonder if any of you were in my tour groups roundd Endcliffe?

Latest

Trending

Trending