The Student Room Group

30 year age gap relationship m/52 f/21

I’ve been seeing this guy on and off now for almost 2 years, we instantly felt a connection and it wasn’t long before we fell in love. He’s always said he would make me his girlfriend if I wanted to take our relationship to the next step.

He’s 52 and I’m 21 years old, I’ve always been very mature and never got on with boys my own age.

I want to be with him so bad but I’m worried about what everyone else will think- something that’s held me back most of my life. I come from a strict catholic family so I have no idea how I would tell them.

Another thing that’s stopping me is the fact that he is extremely wealthy; I don’t want to be accused of being a gold digger for the rest of my life. I know most girls would have bitten his hand off if he asked you to be his girlfriend all that time ago.

Is a 30 year age gap okay? How would I tell my family? And most importantly what would you do? He really makes me happy but I’m scared how they’ll react.
In the eyes of the law it's not wrong but it is weird. The thing is you are just starting your life really and he's not that far off retirement age
Your family aren't going to like it, that's for sure. You need to take their reaction with a pinch of salt and hopefully once they see how happy he makes you, they'll be more accepting.

It's an unconventional relationship - there's nothing legally wrong with it but you may find that as time goes on your vastly different life experiences may pose a problem and you could start to differ in your wants and needs. So whilst things may be great at the moment, a relationship with this guy may not last long term.
I won’t lie, a 30-year gap is very likely to raise eyebrows. But if you are truly happy together, why let others stop you? True love doesn’t always come by so often in life. And even if it doesn’t work out, there is help out there.

My sister and her partner have a 20-year gap. A few thought it wouldn’t last, but they have now been together for 17 years and have a 10 year old son, and have been married for the past three years 😀
Original post by Ciamon
I’ve been seeing this guy on and off now for almost 2 years, we instantly felt a connection and it wasn’t long before we fell in love. He’s always said he would make me his girlfriend if I wanted to take our relationship to the next step.

He’s 52 and I’m 21 years old, I’ve always been very mature and never got on with boys my own age.

I want to be with him so bad but I’m worried about what everyone else will think- something that’s held me back most of my life. I come from a strict catholic family so I have no idea how I would tell them.

Another thing that’s stopping me is the fact that he is extremely wealthy; I don’t want to be accused of being a gold digger for the rest of my life. I know most girls would have bitten his hand off if he asked you to be his girlfriend all that time ago.

Is a 30 year age gap okay? How would I tell my family? And most importantly what would you do? He really makes me happy but I’m scared how they’ll react.

At the end of the day it’s nobody’s else’s business, do what makes you happy and not what makes other people happy. Your family won’t like it but give them time and you never know they might end up actually liking the man and being happy for you, cliche I know but age is nothing when you are happy and in love with someone. If people have something to say about a relationship that has nothing to do with them then they clearly have nothing better to do.
If you do take it to the next step, when you are 40 he will be 71.
At it's most basic the question is whether the two of you are prepared to make a fist of it and plan a life together and see it through. But that's like any other relationship and it any relationship always comes down to the couple in it. Sometimes the only way to know is to have a good talk to each other about all the issues that you might face, your fears/hopes and how strongly both of you are willing to commit to each other.

You don't say very much else about yourselves that would make giving advice easy. I will say I was 42 when I dated a 20 year old for 15 months and it was the best relationship I have ever had. We talked about what we both wanted and in the end I didn't feel I could be the person that could give her everything she could potentially have from a husband and so we parted ways. Only the two of you can decide where you go but the only thing I will say is he has lived a good chunk of his life whilst you have potentially some of the best years of your life to come.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending