The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get a job?

Hi,
Im 16 and in College and currently planning on getting a part time job somewhere in retail like Primark or something but I was wondering if i am still likely to get it if i have never had work experience or never did volunteering or anything?
Because I read that in your CV you have to write up any experiences I did for example volunteering but I never did anything like that
Reply 1
Employers won't expect you to have much experience at 16, certainly not necessarily related directly to the job, but maybe you have done things like prefect, member of a club at school, sports teams, hobbies, activities with a church, uniformed organisations like scouts/guides/cadets, any events you have organised or been involved in for fund-raising or to help others.... You are looking for things that show some commitment and that you can take responsibility.

If you really don't have anything that fits the bill, then start looking around at what you can do to change this.
(edited 4 years ago)
My CV was the most basic thing ever at 16, but I managed to get a permanent job at Sainsbury’s. It’s just about showing your personality tbh
Original post by GamesCube
Hi,
Im 16 and in College and currently planning on getting a part time job somewhere in retail like Primark or something but I was wondering if i am still likely to get it if i have never had work experience or never did volunteering or anything?
Because I read that in your CV you have to write up any experiences I did for example volunteering but I never did anything like that

Like has been said- employers won't expect you to have much experience at 16, certainly not necessarily related directly to the job.
If you have done any volunteering, been a member of any clubs/societies etc or done any other activities worth mentioning then you could put them on.
Most students get jobs in shops, supermarkets, cinemas, restaurants, cafes, fast food places, tourist attractions etc. I know mcdonalds take on a lot of students. And places are advertising for xmas temps now as well.
If you are struggling, volunteering in a charity shop or somewhere for the time being while you are looking may help.
apply to normal jobs saying your happy to learn and give it a month then apply at a charity shop and that will help you get experience
Reply 5
Hi,

I applied to Primark when I had just left year 11, exact same position as you ie 0 experience and they offered me the job. I am 17 now and in year 13, still working there. Don't worry about it you have to get experience from somewhere!
I
Reply 6
Yea, I decided to apply to a charity shop and volunteer there until I find a job and so that I can gain some experience aswell beforehand.
Thank you all for your help!
Reply 7
Yea, I decided to apply to a charity shop and volunteer there until I find a job and so that I can gain some experience aswell beforehand.
Thank you all for your help!

Good for you. Just make the most of volunteering and remember to think broadly about what you can learn from it and put on your CV: things like cash-handling, stock management, any suggestions you put forward for improvements, customer service. Maybe you could also see if the charity has any fund-raising events you could get involved with. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending