The Student Room Group

4 a levels?

Is it possible to do 4 A levels with the ones I'm planning to do:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Art
Im hoping to go into Vet med at uni so the 2 sciences and maths are required: however I dont want to give up art as I'm doing it for GCSE and really enjoy it.

Will the workload be too much, bearing in mind I'm fairly good and quite a fast worker at Art and don't really see it as a chore to do- I tend to do art hw in my free time.

For context, in my school bio, chem and maths are modular so half my exams will be done in year 12.

Would really appreciate some advice, thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anitraa21
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Art
Im hoping to go into Vet med at uni so the 2 sciences and maths are required: however I dont want to give up art as I'm doing it for GCSE and really enjoy it.

Will the workload be too much, bearing in mind I'm fairly good and quite a fast worker at Art and don't really see it as a chore to do- I tend to do art hw in my free time.

For context, in my school bio, chem and maths are modular so half my exams will be done in year 12.

That combination is a big fat 'no' for me. Biology has a lot of content, Chemistry and maths have content and are relatively 'difficult'. And then you want to do Art - possibly the most time consuming, content heavy and frankly 'difficult' A level you could do (apart from, perhaps, Music).
If you're wanting to do VetMed, then superb grades are going to be required: A*A*A would be a good target. I would put that front and centre, and do your three sciences. If you must do a fourth, then choose something less time intensive than art.

@CoolCavy
Doing four a levels is really pushing it, the workload is already great with just three (I'm in second year of sixth form). I suppose you could start off with the four you've chosen and if it proves to be difficult to manage, you should always be able to drop a subject within the first couple of months of a levels. Make sure you're choosing the subjects you really enjoy, because if you find it even the slightest bit off putting or uninteresting, you'll struggle even more.
in terms of uni application, it's not a smart move. But the way I see it, not everything has to do with uni applications. Some people may wanna do 4 a levels cuz they really enjoy all the subjects and are really interested by it. If you genuinely enjoy all 4 subjects and can't chose between them, just keep doing what you're doing. But if you think that taking 4 would give you an advantage over someone who takes 3.
Original post by Reality Check
That combination is a big fat 'no' for me. Biology has a lot of content, Chemistry and maths have content and are relatively 'difficult'. And then you want to do Art - possibly the most time consuming, content heavy and frankly 'difficult' A level you could do (apart from, perhaps, Music).
If you're wanting to do VetMed, then superb grades are going to be required: A*A*A would be a good target. I would put that front and centre, and do your three sciences. If you must do a fourth, then choose something less time intensive than art.

@CoolCavy

Thanks for the honesty, I do agree that I should focus on the sciences but at the same time I obviously will still miss art. Also, what A levels do you have in mind when you say 'less intensive': just curious

@CoolCavy

Thanks for the honesty, I do agree that I should focus on the sciences but at the same time I obviously will still miss art. Also, what A levels do you have in mind when you say 'less intensive': just curious.
Thanks for the honesty, I do agree that I should focus on the sciences but at the same time I obviously will still miss art. Also, what A levels do you have in mind when you say 'less intensive': just curious

Yes, I understand that. Maybe keep it as a hobby? That way you still get the enjoyment from it without having the stress of 'needing' to get a high grade in it.

As for 'less intensive', I suppose all A levels are intensive to a degree. It's just art is particularly so due to the portfolio requirements. MFLs are also time intensive and generally 'difficult', unless you have a particular flair for languages, or already speak one well. But it's all relative, and what one person finds difficult and time consuming, another finds a walk in the park. I'm talking more in general terms, and most people seem to regret doing Art as a fourth A level, as they underestimate the time involved.

Are there any other subjects which you're interested in. As I say, my strong advice to you would be to forget the fourth entirely, and concentrate on smashing the three you've already proposed.
Yes, I understand that. Maybe keep it as a hobby? That way you still get the enjoyment from it without having the stress of 'needing' to get a high grade in it.

As for 'less intensive', I suppose all A levels are intensive to a degree. It's just art is particularly so due to the portfolio requirements. MFLs are also time intensive and generally 'difficult', unless you have a particular flair for languages, or already speak one well. But it's all relative, and what one person finds difficult and time consuming, another finds a walk in the park. I'm talking more in general terms, and most people seem to regret doing Art as a fourth A level, as they underestimate the time involved.

Are there any other subjects which you're interested in. As I say, my strong advice to you would be to forget the fourth entirely, and concentrate on smashing the three you've already proposed.

I am pretty good at languages so I may consider taking that however I think im going to prioritise my 3 proposed a levels as I think I am going to have to work quite hard, especially at maths, to achieve a good grade.
I am pretty good at languages so I may consider taking that however I think im going to prioritise my 3 proposed a levels as I think I am going to have to work quite hard, especially at maths, to achieve a good grade.

I think that would be incredibly sensible of you. Check the requirements of your proposed unis first, but I can't see those three A levels being an issue for VetMed. The main thing is getting both superb grades AND enough work experience.

Good luck with it.
Would it be worth taking maths to AS level (as it is modular in my school) and dropping it in year 13 and continuing with bio, chem and art? I'm not sure if this would put me at a disadvantage for vet med.
Reply 10
Don’t do art. It’s a super time consuming and “difficult” a level. However, fortunately if you enjoy it, you can still continue with it on your free time. You need A*A*A (usually) in two sciences / maths for most courses, and you should be using your free time to do work experience, volunteering, academic extracurricular activities, or perhaps an EPQ.
I wouldn’t do art, I do it as one of my three subjects (maths and french are others) and it’s so time consuming. Unless you dedicate your life to art, it’s impossible to do well. I would continue art outside of school but don’t do it for A-Level- or, make sure you keep it as a fourth option and drop it later on! It’s definitely fun at the beginning I’ve started to dislike it this year though, drop it when you’re up to your ears in work!
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Art

Doing four A levels will put you at a disadvantage. If you do a science degree in university they will ignore your art A level and if you want to do an art degree in university then they will ignore all your sciences and maths.

So it would be foolish to put yourself under that stress. And let me tell you, as a person who does biology and chemistry I’m thankful that I didn’t do a third hard subject e.g. maths instead I picked geography which kind of links with biology.

My advice would be to drop the art A level as it is actually very long. I remember in our mocks the art people had to do 5 hours for one exam and multiply that by like 3 exams you have to do.

It really depends on what kind of career you want to do. I’d even say switch the maths for something else because maths is very hard I heard. Psychology is another science which is relatively easier than maths but still academic
Original post by Celal2001
Doing four A levels will put you at a disadvantage. If you do a science degree in university they will ignore your art A level and if you want to do an art degree in university then they will ignore all your sciences and maths.

So it would be foolish to put yourself under that stress. And let me tell you, as a person who does biology and chemistry I’m thankful that I didn’t do a third hard subject e.g. maths instead I picked geography which kind of links with biology.

My advice would be to drop the art A level as it is actually very long. I remember in our mocks the art people had to do 5 hours for one exam and multiply that by like 3 exams you have to do.

It really depends on what kind of career you want to do. I’d even say switch the maths for something else because maths is very hard I heard. Psychology is another science which is relatively easier than maths but still academic

I want to study Vet Med and I agree that maths will be extremely hard but if I don't take it I feel like I would be limiting myself to the courses I could apply to as most of them recommend maths.
Has anyone got in with an a level other than maths? I was thinking maybe a language or i could continue with geography as I do that for gcse and I enjoy it quite a lot. I was also considering taking maths to AS level but dropping in year 13.
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Art

No that would be pointless
Personally I think that those 4 will be a bit to much. The sciences are so content based and require a lot of work. In regards to art, I think as it’s not for your career, keep it as a hobby but don’t put the extra pressure on yourself as the other 3 will be difficult enough!
I want to study Vet Med and I agree that maths will be extremely hard but if I don't take it I feel like I would be limiting myself to the courses I could apply to as most of them recommend maths.
Has anyone got in with an a level other than maths? I was thinking maybe a language or i could continue with geography as I do that for gcse and I enjoy it quite a lot. I was also considering taking maths to AS level but dropping in year 13.

But the thing is. Maths is advised for all science courses but it isn’t absolutely essential. All science degrees require you to take some modules in maths to learn the basic minimum maths for that subject so you don’t really need a maths A Level. If I were you I wouldn’t stress myself out with a maths A level.

Pick something that relates to your field. Geography sounds perfect. It’s quite easy compared to maths and it links loosely to the environment I guess. From what I know there is no AS anymore apart from a handful of private schools doing it
Contrary to the post above, I would take Maths. I think maths is a very important thing and helps with other subject areas if nothing else (certainly will help you in the future, a background in maths helps with various concepts). I did bio, chem, maths, and further maths which I found the perfect combination; maths does help with chemistry and even parts of biology. Also maths is just really interesting in its own right (at least for me)...
If you have an aptitude for picking up concepts rather quickly, then go for it -- but only if you feel as though you can devote ample time to all four subjects throughout the year (you may have to make sacrifices on your free time where appropriate).

Back when I did A-levels, I did 5, plus the EPQ, AEA, the STEP exams and BMO on the side. That was almost pushing my upper limit on being able to maintain mostly A*s across the board, but the exam season sure as hell wasn't fun. I became a social recluse for several months to be able to perform at the level I needed, and I do think it had a material impact on my mental health after the exams had finished. Was it worth it in the end? For the purposes of university, no. One big plus is that it's often a talking point on my CV (mostly along the lines of why the hell I bothered to do that many subjects), but that's about it. I don't think it gave me much of an advantage over other applicants who had 3 or 4 A-levels. And it's a pain in the ass to enter details about all these qualifications when I have to comply with background checks.

In my case it was a gamble which, despite getting good grades, didn't really pay off. I could have used my spare time doing something else (though it's not a given that I would have done so even if I did have the spare time).

I definitely agree that taking 4 A-levels would be too much but you absolutely do not have to take maths A-level to apply to study veterinary medicine at uni and taking art over maths will not put you at a disadvantage. I am applying to study veterinary medicine this year and I do Biology, Chemistry and Economics at A-level. I would strongly advise only taking maths if you have a real aptitude for the subject and you enjoy it as A-levels are extremely time consuming and you have to enjoy the subjects you are taking rather than doing them for the sake of it. Ultimately vet schools don't care what your third A-level subject is as long as you get a good grade in it so if you really enjoy art and think you would do better in it than maths then I would 100% do Biology, Chemistry and Art. I promise no vet school will hold the fact that you aren't doing maths against you and it might be an interesting talking point at interview as it will differentiate you from other applicants and they like creative people. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions x

Quick Reply

Latest