The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Adampolar
I'm not sure about London, but up north our postmen usually knock on the door when delivering a parcel rather than break in to suprise us with it.

our postmen sometimes come down the chimney and leave parcels like santa, those posties are right jokers.
Reply 81
steelmole
No, but I don't think the government should take something like a knife off me because I might do something stupid with it.

And looking at the poll, does it mean use the existing law and just up the sentence to 5 years? Or do you want anyone and everyone to be put away for carrying knives in public. What about butchers/chefs etc? What about small pen knives?

My dad used to get stopped almost every night on the way home from the kitchens with his knife set. One thing I can't work out is why he didn't have a locker at work in which to keep his knives:s-smilie: .
Reply 82
solo2wolf
********! if its enforced properly the "average gang member" will be the average prisoner and thus those who arnt behind bars will soon wise up. as i said it wont stop premeditated murders but it will make fatal random attacks far less likely. i cant imagine what it must feel like at 12-15 to be capable of killing anyone around you. what that must do to the mentality of already ****ed up kids is unimaginable.

you don't know anything about gang culture and the way they think i don;'t know 100% but i know enough to know that prison won't deter them. people who aren't in prison will not wise up, they will continue to attack people. but random attacks are very low anyway, most of the time gang members attack other gang members
HannahLouise02
There is an e-petition going to ban the carrying of knives and impose a 5 year prison sentence on anyone found with a knife.

The petition deadline is today. Please sign it.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ban-knives/

This is all in reaction to the 17th teenager being killed in the capital this year. It has to stop.

Thanks.

Two questions:

1. Carrying a knife does not imply any violent crime has been commited or that the carrier intends to commit a crime. How do you justify imposing a mandatory prison sentence equivalent to that handed down to the man who caused the Selby rail crash for this?

2. Why do you suppose someone who is willing to commit a crime that carries a mandatory life sentence would be deterred by a mandatory 5 year sentence if they are caught en route?
im trying to say search young people more, and if a 30 year old has a knife he perhaps might be using it for stabings but if the company he works for uses knifes it doesnt take a genious to work out he isnt a criminal, stop taking the law so literally.

The young man may also use the knife for work, my main point is that I don't trust the police to discern correctly.
Reply 85
rosemkate...prisons are too nice :smile:
we are doing harm with our hands..because prisons are built with money from taxes paid by those who are working hard...so this is really stupid:
Reply 86
Collingwood
Two questions:

1. Carrying a knife does not imply any violent crime has been commited or that the carrier intends to commit a crime. How do you justify imposing a mandatory prison sentence equivalent to that handed down to the man who caused the Selby rail crash for this?

2. Why do you suppose someone who is willing to commit a crime that carries a mandatory life sentence would be deterred by a mandatory 5 year sentence if they are caught en route?

Perhaps they should have a section on the government petition website that takes 10 minutes to load with a screen that simply says 'Please apply basic logic to what you are petitioning for before uploading it'.
Reply 87
I don't know whether or not i want to sign it.
It's not because i like kids carrying knifes, but sending kids to prison is not the answer, the kids won't get reformed for going to prison for five years; they will come out of jail and will be more dangerous than when they went in.
Reply 88
rosemkate
you don't know anything about gang culture and the way they think i don;'t know 100% but i know enough to know that prison won't deter them. people who aren't in prison will not wise up, they will continue to attack people. but random attacks are very low anyway, most of the time gang members attack other gang members

random attacks are more common than that a guy i went to school with got stabbed because he said "your mum" in an argument he survived and the guy is locked up but theres only been one knife attack near me and it was random.
Reply 89
Adampolar
The young man may also use the knife for work, my main point is that I don't trust the police to discern correctly.

neither do i the sun will probley publish a story like a 60 year old warehouse worker arrested for carrying a stanley knife and such.
Please don't sign it.

Knives are useful for cutting stuff, and carrying them is a good way to transport them to where the stuff is that needs to be cut. It's certainly more environmentally friendly than putting them in a car or something.

Uh oh! We have a buzzword conflict!
A mandatory minimum sentence of five years for carrying a knife in public?

Is Peter Atkinson a ****ing moron?

I can see the argument against guns, where the general purpose of many firearms is simply to kill. I guess this idiot never does any of the cooking in his house, as he has forgotten than knives have multiple purposes aside from harming others.

I carry a penknife with me everywhere, around my neck or in my bag depending on how likely it is I will need to use it. I use it for something or other most days. It's not for attack, and it's certainly not for defense - what am I going to do, whittle a scale model of myself out of a tree to confuse my attacker? I'd have to be an idiot to sign that petition.
Reply 92
Crosseyed And Painless
A mandatory minimum sentence of five years for carrying a knife in public?

Is Peter Atkinson a ****ing moron?

I can see the argument against guns, where the general purpose of many firearms is simply to kill. I guess this idiot never does any of the cooking in his house, as he has forgotten than knives have multiple purposes aside from harming others.

I carry a penknife with me everywhere, around my neck or in my bag depending on how likely it is I will need to use it. I use it for something or other most days. It's not for attack, and it's certainly not for defense - what am I going to do, whittle a scale model of myself out of a tree to confuse my attacker? I'd have to be an idiot to sign that petition.

how naive.
the govenment wont do **** all, but they will note that people are concerned about the issue.
Reply 93
Someone said right: "scum"!

If someone is a scum, he/she can kill you with a wooden stick or champagne broken bottle...or anything else!

The problem is with the prisons guys!! They should make prisons to isolate bands, to isolate the opportunity to become a perfect killer…to eliminate gyms or others sport activities (to make them weaker) and to put them at work (creative work...show them the good part in life)
Reply 94
I think the 'the knife might have a use' argument is the crappest argument to use against this petition. No court in this country will send down somebody who has a legitimate reason to carry a knife, they never have done and they never will. There are far better ways to attack the petition such as the fact we're dealing with teenagers who can't reasonably be sent away for 5 years, or that the government is not going to jump from simply cautioning people for carrying a knife straight up to 5 years mandatory minimum sentence.
I understand the majority of your opinions. I just think something has to be done. It's just becoming too regular that this happens. I really don't know what would be best to combat it, but i just thought it was a step in the right direction. I just don't want to see this happening again and again.
how naive.
the govenment wont do **** all, but they will note that people are concerned about the issue.

They will note that people are idiots if they sign the petition. It's not naive to suggest that someone doing and saying moronic things is, in fact, a moron. I think he's a moron myself.
Reply 97
traxhill
Someone said right: "scum"!

If someone is a scum, he/she can kill you with a wooden stick or champagne broken bottle...or anything else!

The problem is with the prisons guys!! They should make prisons to isolate bands, to isolate the opportunity to become a perfect killer…to eliminate gyms or others sport activities (to make them weaker) and to put them at work (creative work...show them the good part in life)

If you take away their gym and sporting activies they won't have anyway to relieve their already high testosterone, giving them a gym and exercise has been proven to reduce violence in prisons. If they were so strong in the first place they wouldn't have needed a weapon.
how naive.

Of course, on the strength of 1600 signatories, I don't think that tomorrow I will have to live in fear of being banged up for 5 years. :rolleyes:
That doesn't mean it's not worrying that this fella and all the other people who've signed the petition may actually believe that locking up anyone with a knife on their person for 5 years is A Good Idea.
Reply 99
just out of curiosity why have you always carried a knife since the age of 13?

Back from about 13 - 20 ish it was because I was a scout and spent a lot of evenings and weekends down the woods (which was also a large scout owned camp site) camping out or generally having fun.

Since then I have both a Swiss army knife (its a good multi tool to carry and im always out on my bike and such) and also a 5 inch skinning knife I don’t carry, but do take away with me camping, hunting and the like.

I don’t consider either of them weapons, I consider them tools and I would never use them against another human being unless in defence of my own life (if I couldn’t just run away).

Latest

Trending

Trending