The Student Room Group

How to learn and revise A Level Politics.

Textbook so dense, really need help, now do I learn then revise content?
Reply 1
I got an A in A Level politics, I actually ended up being the first and only A grade politics student from my school. What I did, which most people didnt was instead of revising the content on its own, i would make essay plans instead. It worked so much better for revision
Original post by Kali.kb
I got an A in A Level politics, I actually ended up being the first and only A grade politics student from my school. What I did, which most people didnt was instead of revising the content on its own, i would make essay plans instead. It worked so much better for revision

What other subjects did you take? Also I don't know or understand how to make essay plans. I want to make essay plans for economics
Reply 3
Original post by Kali.kb

This is great help, thanks! So you wouldn’t actually revise content, you’d revise essay plans? I’ve seen someone on here saying they’ve got a plan for every possible question, and I just don’t understand how they could know every question that could come up... if I knew, I’d be doing the same as you!
Reply 4
Original post by Hiro2468
What other subjects did you take? Also I don't know or understand how to make essay plans. I want to make essay plans for economics

I did Politics, English Lit and business x did my A Levels this year and finished with an A* in Business, A in Politics and B in English Lit
Original post by satsun
This is great help, thanks! So you wouldn’t actually revise content, you’d revise essay plans? I’ve seen someone on here saying they’ve got a plan for every possible question, and I just don’t understand how they could know every question that could come up... if I knew, I’d be doing the same as you!

You'll never be able to do essay plans for every question that comes up but you can actually use the spec to help. I tutor poltics in my spare time and what I do is go through the spec and highlight what could come up as a 30 marker and what would be 12 (US side), then vide versa for the UK side as some of the spec could be questions but other stuff on there isn't that big of a deal when it comes to learning. What I'd say is for ideologies just to do a mind map for each ideology, in the mind map then you'd have the branch, the key thinker and what they branch of said ideology has certain views on.

So a mind map for conservatism, then in the mind map youd have traditionalist, then Hobbes as the key thinker to reference, then their beliefs. I found that it's harder to plan essays for ideologies but you can convert all that for ideologies into mind maps on A3 paper.

Other questions you can plan as an essay though, but I'd go by topic for each otherwise you're going to have too much plans to learn
Reply 5
Original post by Kali.kb
I did Politics, English Lit and business x did my A Levels this year and finished with an A* in Business, A in Politics and B in English Lit

You'll never be able to do essay plans for every question that comes up but you can actually use the spec to help. I tutor poltics in my spare time and what I do is go through the spec and highlight what could come up as a 30 marker and what would be 12 (US side), then vide versa for the UK side as some of the spec could be questions but other stuff on there isn't that big of a deal when it comes to learning. What I'd say is for ideologies just to do a mind map for each ideology, in the mind map then you'd have the branch, the key thinker and what they branch of said ideology has certain views on.

So a mind map for conservatism, then in the mind map youd have traditionalist, then Hobbes as the key thinker to reference, then their beliefs. I found that it's harder to plan essays for ideologies but you can convert all that for ideologies into mind maps on A3 paper.

Other questions you can plan as an essay though, but I'd go by topic for each otherwise you're going to have too much plans to learn

Honestly you’re helping me out so much, thank you. I’m fast-tracking Politics in one year, so I’ve got to really get some good advice. Congratulations on your results!
Reply 6
Original post by satsun
Honestly you’re helping me out so much, thank you. I’m fast-tracking Politics in one year, so I’ve got to really get some good advice. Congratulations on your results!

Thank you! Personally I think that Politics and Sociology are two subjects you can fast track in a year and long as you put in the work. Are you doing Edexcel? I did Edexcel so I can give less general tips if I know your exam board
Reply 7
Original post by Kali.kb
Thank you! Personally I think that Politics and Sociology are two subjects you can fast track in a year and long as you put in the work. Are you doing Edexcel? I did Edexcel so I can give less general tips if I know your exam board

Yes, I’m Edexcel. Options are Nationalism and the US.
Reply 8
Original post by satsun
Yes, I’m Edexcel. Options are Nationalism and the US.

Exact same as me! Have you got the hodder revision guide? It helped me so much when planning essays
Reply 9
Original post by Kali.kb
Exact same as me! Have you got the hodder revision guide? It helped me so much when planning essays

I’m using the main textbook (the fist of people), alongside the edexcel revision guide that they brought out this year.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest