The Student Room Group

EU agrees to Brexit extension

Scroll to see replies

:yawn:
here we go again.jpg
:blah:
No thought given *shrug*
I don't think the BBC are reporting this correctly. The current situation is that the EU are not going to come back with a delay decision until the House has voted on Johnson's demand for a December general election.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/25/michel-barnier-eu-brexit-extension-boris-johnson-election

As Labour are bound to reject that, it would appear that a long extension is going to be needed, anyway.
:bebored:

I was at a uni open day when this fiasco started and now am in final year. Either get on with it or don't but this is boring now and has been for years
Original post by CoolCavy

I was at a uni open day when this fiasco started and now am in final year. Either get on with it or don't but this is boring now and has been for years

The rate it's going, we'll probably be all retired by the time the process completes.

I will never be able to respect people who call the biggest political reform of all time since WW2 boring, regardless of the time period it has consumed. Makes it seem like you have very little regard for a monumentous current affair that has divided the country. Don't get me started on "get on with it", implying you believe the UK should leave the EU regardless of the economic and social consequences it will have on this country.
Original post by MarcosTheories
I will never be able to respect people who call the biggest political reform of all time since WW2 boring, regardless of the time period it has consumed. Makes it seem like you have very little regard for a monumentous current affair that has divided the country. Don't get me started on "get on with it", implying you believe the UK should leave the EU regardless of the economic and social consequences it will have on this country.

Okay :borat:
It can be important and dull as fk at the same time.
Reply 10

Although I agree with you, something like this does need to be given proper scrutiny - not 3 days like BJ originally wanted, which is what this extension would allow parliament to do.
Original post by MarcosTheories

The biggest time sink in political history leaving the rest of the country's problems on hold year on year.
Reply 12
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The rate it's going, we'll probably be all retired by the time the process completes.

The year is 2347.
The British Prime Minster arrives in Brussels for the annual ceremony of the "Brextension Request".
No one remembers the origins of this ancient tradition but it is still celebrated every year with a deliberate lack of enthusiasm.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by QE2
The year is 2347.
The British Prime Minster arrives in Brussels for the annual ceremony of the "Brextension Request".
No one remembers the origins of this ancient tradition but it is still celebrated every year with a deliberate lack of enthusiasm.

It could be like bonfire night with effergies burned at a gathering.
Reply 14
Original post by Guru Jason
It could be like bonfire night with effergies burned at a gathering.

That will be happening round our way this Nov 5th. An effigy of Mogg burning to the sound of The Fall's "Spoilt Victorian Child".
Original post by Deyesy
Although I agree with you, something like this does need to be given proper scrutiny - not 3 days like BJ originally wanted, which is what this extension would allow parliament to do.

Obviously. Just because I think it's all taken too long (of which I am not the only person to have said it's tedious so not sure why this is all being directed at me), doesn't mean I wanted it done in 2 weeks. It does however not need to take 3 and counting years with extension after extension, PMs resigning and general farting about. There are other issues in this country yet all we hear about is Brexit.
...general farting about. There are other issues in this country yet all we hear about is Brexit.

/thread
Reply 17
There are other issues in this country yet all we hear about is Brexit.

Amen. Couldn't have put it better myself

France wants a short extension, but Germany has put out a 3 line whip for all the lesser EU members to follow them in supporting a long extension.

To me, the conclusion will be to extend to January 31st. Apparently we contribute about 1 billion to the EU every month, so that is a nice 3 billion for the indecision of the Lib Dems and Remainers. Never forget!
Original post by Wired_1800
France wants a short extension, but Germany has put out a 3 line whip for all the lesser EU members to follow them in supporting a long extension.

To me, the conclusion will be to extend to January 31st. Apparently we contribute about 1 billion to the EU every month, so that is a nice 3 billion for the indecision of the Lib Dems and Remainers. Never forget!

How much as Grayling alone cost the country so far?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending