The Student Room Group

Are school detentions effective?

Scroll to see replies

They are not effective in terms of re-offending, in my experience people tended to re-offend and get multiple detentions. so clearly that was not working. The issue we have however is how do you punish somebody who doesn't want to engage or be there? its very difficult to do this. Some students may judge that a 15 minute detention for not doing Hw, in which the teacher will probably help you, is worth it in order to not do it at home.
Original post by Andrew97
They are not effective in terms of re-offending, in my experience people tended to re-offend and get multiple detentions. so clearly that was not working. The issue we have however is how do you punish somebody who doesn't want to engage or be there? its very difficult to do this. Some students may judge that a 15 minute detention for not doing Hw, in which the teacher will probably help you, is worth it in order to not do it at home.

True tbh in some schools if you get a detention for not doing HW they don't help you which it kind of unfair. Also detentions where the students simply sit in silence an do nothing (I like to call these "American style detentions") and aren't being told/given a lecture on how to not make the same mistake again are literally the worst kind of detentions ever. The school I go to now if you get a break-time detention you literally sit there in silence for the whole of break useless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending