The Student Room Group

Which laptop should I buy?

I've been researching a new laptop to get because my current one is an Acer from 2006. DSA are helping due to my disability (so have some requirements for software i think) but I'm going to be paying most of it. These are my requirements:

Budget
£1500 maximum but preferably less than 1.3k

Subject being studied
Psychology

Software that will be used
Microsoft Office
Read&Write Literacy software
Dragon Professional individual

Screen size
13-15.6 inches

Operating system preference
Windows

Minimum amount of RAM
8GB

Minimum storage requirement
Preferably SSD 256GB, or they've recommended 1TB HDD, but i think this is flexible

Processor:
Intel i5-8520 or better

Weight limit
no limit but will be carrying it to uni

Used for playing games?
Yes, just basics like minecraft sometimes, sims, simple steam games

Touchscreen needed?
Yes!!!

I went into Currys and really liked the Lenovo Yoga 730, so something along these lines but maybe an updated version?
I also really liked the HP Envy 13-ah1507na but overall preferred the lenovo.

Please give me recommendations on laptops better than the lenovo if possible, I just want the most updated and best/fastest so I don't have to get another any time soon like my last one haha.
Reply 1
Original post by llatter
I've been researching a new laptop to get because my current one is an Acer from 2006. DSA are helping due to my disability (so have some requirements for software i think) but I'm going to be paying most of it. These are my requirements:

Budget
£1500 maximum but preferably less than 1.3k

Subject being studied
Psychology

Software that will be used
Microsoft Office
Read&Write Literacy software
Dragon Professional individual

Screen size
13-15.6 inches

Operating system preference
Windows

Minimum amount of RAM
8GB

Minimum storage requirement
Preferably SSD 256GB, or they've recommended 1TB HDD, but i think this is flexible

Processor:
Intel i5-8520 or better

Weight limit
no limit but will be carrying it to uni

Used for playing games?
Yes, just basics like minecraft sometimes, sims, simple steam games

Touchscreen needed?
Yes!!!

I went into Currys and really liked the Lenovo Yoga 730, so something along these lines but maybe an updated version?
I also really liked the HP Envy 13-ah1507na but overall preferred the lenovo.

Please give me recommendations on laptops better than the lenovo if possible, I just want the most updated and best/fastest so I don't have to get another any time soon like my last one haha.

Dell XPS.
I got a new laptop a month ago for my birthday and it's amazing, everything I wanted and more. It's the lenovo ideapad c340 it's touchscreen, windows 10s and 360 degree screen rotation. The screen and keyboard doesnt detach but the keyboard locks so it doesnt interfere when it is in tablet mode and this is great because you dont have to connect via bluetooth or charge them separately. It has bluetooth and 10.5 hours battery life (differs considering your settings) and charges to 80% in 15 mins. It also starts up super fast and the touchscreen doesnt lag at all. I know you said better than Lenovo but personally, this is by far the best laptop I have ever had and I think it would be great for uni work and gaming. I plan to use it for uni next year too. I got a deal on qvc and it came with all the word software and a touch pen included, which was great. hope this helped!

here is the link if you're interested, it is on offer at the minute

https://www.qvcuk.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-C340-14"-Laptop-w-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Pen-
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Vet Student 2020
I got a new laptop a month ago for my birthday and it's amazing, everything I wanted and more. It's the lenovo ideapad c340 it's touchscreen, windows 10s and 360 degree screen rotation. The screen and keyboard doesnt detach but the keyboard locks so it doesnt interfere when it is in tablet mode and this is great because you dont have to connect via bluetooth or charge them separately. It has bluetooth and 10.5 hours battery life (differs considering your settings) and charges to 80% in 15 mins. It also starts up super fast and the touchscreen doesnt lag at all. I know you said better than Lenovo but personally, this is by far the best laptop I have ever had and I think it would be great for uni work and gaming. I plan to use it for uni next year too. I got a deal on qvc and it came with all the word software and a touch pen included, which was great. hope this helped!

here is the link if you're interested, it is on offer at the minute

https://www.qvcuk.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-C340-14"-Laptop-w-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Pen-

Thank you soooo much!! I will definitely look into this or their newer models of this for the intel version. :smile:
Reply 4
Hi there

I would recommend a Surface Pro if you're looking for a device that can act as a laptop, tablet and all in between.

It had a great screen and a kickstand that can be slanted at any angle for great content viewing and pen input.

The keyboard on it is fantastic. The travel is better on reviews than the macbook pro despite the surface pro having a detachable alcantara back-lit keyboard.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Dell XPS.

Thank you, gonna look into this and try and see it in store!!
Original post by llatter
Thank you soooo much!! I will definitely look into this or their newer models of this for the intel version. :smile:

No problem, hope it was some help. I think this one is their newest and was released in April 2019
Reply 7
Hey! Taking in your prefrences I'd say take a good look at Microsoft surfaces. You can customise your Surfacse to however much memory and storage you want. I have one and it's pretty amazing; it's versatile. I've tried some other compnaies and I can't say they've lived up to the same standard as Microsoft. It's portable, it's fast, the internal components are customisable, they can pretty much fall into your price limit and you can pretty much use it as a laptop or a tablet so yeah.

Check out the microsft website and look at the different versions, considering you're looking for one that's 'work' related - look at the Surface 5's and up.

Hope this helps 😎
- A biased/non-biased opinion ? Idk 😂
Reply 8
Original post by AnyMH
Hey! Taking in your prefrences I'd say take a good look at Microsoft surfaces. You can customise your Surfacse to however much memory and storage you want. I have one and it's pretty amazing; it's versatile. I've tried some other compnaies and I can't say they've lived up to the same standard as Microsoft. It's portable, it's fast, the internal components are customisable, they can pretty much fall into your price limit and you can pretty much use it as a laptop or a tablet so yeah.

Check out the microsft website and look at the different versions, considering you're looking for one that's 'work' related - look at the Surface 5's and up.

Hope this helps 😎
- A biased/non-biased opinion ? Idk 😂

Also, my dad's still running on his Surface pro 3 - which is really and I mean REALLY outdated; just shows how long they last I guess
Reply 9
Original post by AnyMH
Also, my dad's still running on his Surface pro 3 - which is really and I mean REALLY outdated; just shows how long they last I guess

Hey! Thank you so much for this, I was looking at the surfaces initially but just ended up preferring the look of the Lenovo but i will definitely go back and have another look if they’re worth it like you say!! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Apad121
Hi there

I would recommend a Surface Pro if you're looking for a device that can act as a laptop, tablet and all in between.

It had a great screen and a kickstand that can be slanted at any angle for great content viewing and pen input.

The keyboard on it is fantastic. The travel is better on reviews than the macbook pro despite the surface pro having a detachable alcantara back-lit keyboard.

thank you i’m definitely going to check them out again :smile:
Reply 11
Hey sorry for not responding i thought i had! The 2-in-1 is much more important than gaming—i just wanted the option to game if i ever wanted to, though it isn’t regular on PC.
Reply 12
I want to be able to flip the laptop into a tablet like the lenovo yoga’s, so i can highlight on a digital textbook, write notes on the screen, and do some digital art (p basic stuff not professional). My current options are the Lenovo Yoga: C930, C940, and C740; or the Microsoft Surface Book 2. The surface is pretty expensive even for the 128gb model, and the pen doesn’t come with it like for the lenovo’s, which are also cheaper especially as I won’t need to buy accessories on top (pen). The c740 is the cheapest at £899 with intel i7-10510U and 512GB SSD, the c940 is the updated version of the c930, but is cheaper at £1099 with i5-1035G4 and 256GB, and the c930 is £1199 with i5-8250U and 256GB. I’ve been trying to do as much research but i’m still just stuck on which is best!! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending