The Student Room Group

Do you care about wearing top branded clothing?

When I was 16/17 (10 years ago) my age group really were quite uptight about what they wore. Certain brands had a higher status than others which all boiled down to price, if the clothing from a certain brand was expensive then it was the brand to wear despite how it even looked.

Im not denying that the quality of certain brands are better but you would get 16 year olds in £200 Armani jackets which looked basic AF.

These days I am seeing people care less about wearing branded clothes and strangely brands such as Kappa and Fila are now expensive and people want to wear them, where as 10 years ago people wouldn’t be seen dead in these brands. Me personally I never really cared, I usually go for quality of the material but wouldn’t spend £50 on a simple tshirt.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
never cared at all
I don't care about wearing brands, no
It’s not really about the brand, it’s how one wears and styles their clothes.
Tbh yeah lmao. Not the top top brands like LV, Ysl etc. But brands like Calvin Klein, Tommy or Ralph Lauren. Most of my clothes are branded coz I am admittedly a brand snob 😬😬. But I wouldn’t be caught dead in things like Kappa/Fila/Champion etc
Not really bothered about what brands my clothes are, for me it's more about whether I like the look of them.
I couldn’t care less about a brand.
If I like it, I wear it.
And I rarely ever buy brand new anyway 95% of my wardrobe is second hand
Charity shops and eBay are my go to for my clothes.
And I sell them on when I’ve finished with them so I actually spend very little
Reply 7
As long as I feel comfortable, and don't look homeless, I'm alright.
Reply 8
Original post by J0n3zviper
When I was 16/17 (10 years ago) my age group really were quite uptight about what they wore. Certain brands had a higher status than others which all boiled down to price, if the clothing from a certain brand was expensive then it was the brand to wear despite how it even looked.

Im not denying that the quality of certain brands are better but you would get 16 year olds in £200 Armani jackets which looked basic AF.

These days I am seeing people care less about wearing branded clothes and strangely brands such as Kappa and Fila are now expensive and people want to wear them, where as 10 years ago people wouldn’t be seen dead in these brands. Me personally I never really cared, I usually go for quality of the material but wouldn’t spend £50 on a simple tshirt.

I'm 18 and I've never really been bothered about spending a grand on a hat. I just see something that looks nice, decent pricer, and cop it
Reply 9
Original post by spxectrive
It’s not really about the brand, it’s how one wears and styles their clothes.

On some level I agree, but its hard to look good wearing Primark clothing
Not really, I buy things because I like them. I have spent what some might consider expensive clothing but they have lasted well.
I wear branded clothing because they look nice. However, I don't pay ridiculous prices for them, mainly just Armani. That's because I'm used to the quality material and do not like any cheap clothing because the material feels so rough and tacky and lets be honest, the style and designs are so ****
(edited 4 years ago)
No.
no, I don't want to draw attention to myself.
For special occasions, I wear designer stuff, I have a few Burberry shirts, jackets and a Louis V belt and a Gucci one too. These were all from my own money from working during summer holidays and half term and from my own money (unless they were gifts). I always feel better wearing stuff I have earned, it makes it all that much better. Otherwise for everyday purpose, If it is comfortable, and does not make me look like an idiot then it is fine. For example Levi Jeans, a Zara Jumper, a normal warm waterproof jacket and Air forces or Gazelles does it for me. As a student your priorities are not looking good or "Dripping", it is to work hard and enjoy your young years. Not trying to prove to your mates, "HEY MY DAD IS RICHER THAN YOURS" or "I HAVE MORE MONEY THAN YOU". Don't get caught up in that. Many kids at my old school were and just look like clowns.
Original post by OR321
Tbh yeah lmao. Not the top top brands like LV, Ysl etc. But brands like Calvin Klein, Tommy or Ralph Lauren. Most of my clothes are branded coz I am admittedly a brand snob 😬😬. But I wouldn’t be caught dead in things like Kappa/Fila/Champion etc

your family is wealthy
Reply 16
I recall back in the day it used to be a thing, i found as i got older i really could not give a **** though :lol: plus as it started to be my money as opposed to the parents i found it less enticing to spunk it on a poor quality pair of jeans (or what ever) just because they had a nice name on them.
With that being said, i do have a certain penchant for all things Dunhill still :colone:
Original post by PastaIsLife
your family is wealthy

My parents are decent tbhhh 😂 but don’t worry, I’m not one of them stuck up snobs. I only wear them for myself, couldn’t care less what others wear haha
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest