The Student Room Group

History Cold War

"The main reason for the tension between the superpowers in the 1950s was the Korean war."
How far do you agree with the statement?
Explain your answer.
16 marks helppp!!
Do you need help with structuring your answer or the actual content?
Reply 2
Original post by stressystressy
Do you need help with structuring your answer or the actual content?

The actual content
Original post by a200304
The actual content

One reason why the Korean Warincreased Cold War tensions was because it was the first proxy war of the Cold War. It proved that there was a real threat of communism spreading in other parts of the world and this in turn drove the USA to ensure it had sufficient military (nuclear) capability to challenge the USSR and defend itself. This increased Cold War tensions as it heightened the ongoing competition between the USA and USSR.
Another reason why it increased Cold War tensions was because it demonstrated the USA’s commitment to containing communism, as there were 7500 US troops stationed in South Korea. Furthermore, it also showed the power that the Americans had within the UN. This increased Cold War tensions as the USSR may have felt intimidated by the drive and excessive power possessed by the US.

Then you would go on to explain why two other events in the 1950s caused tension (e.g. the Vietnam War and the Space Race)

Hope this helps :smile:
By superpowers I think they mean the actual superpowers of the world, which at the time was Russia, America and China.
China and Russia were both communist countries so they got on pretty well (Stalin had supplied them with weapons and soldiers) however America didn't particularly get along with them as they were Capitalist and were following the Truman Doctrine which meant they had to prevent communism taking over other countries.
It was also said that America and China would do childish things during the peace talks, eg. America would have a bigger flag than China on the desk, and in the next talk China would position a bigger flag.
That's what the superpowers did which you could include in the answer (gives you marks for contextual knowledge). I didn't write a whole answer...sorry. But you basically have to state "I agree/disagree with this statement to some extent." Then start with why you agree/disagree and move onto an opposing point, try doing the opposing part two or three times to get most of the marks.
Like the person before me, statistics would be good.
(Oh and America was the only country to have, and have tested, atomic bombs until after WW2 when Russia had developed and successfully tested it. This could have caused a nuclear WW3 between the superpowers which no one had wanted.)

Hope this was some good and relevant info,
- p
Reply 5
Original post by patriciaw19
By superpowers I think they mean the actual superpowers of the world, which at the time was Russia, America and China.
China and Russia were both communist countries so they got on pretty well (Stalin had supplied them with weapons and soldiers) however America didn't particularly get along with them as they were Capitalist and were following the Truman Doctrine which meant they had to prevent communism taking over other countries.
It was also said that America and China would do childish things during the peace talks, eg. America would have a bigger flag than China on the desk, and in the next talk China would position a bigger flag.
That's what the superpowers did which you could include in the answer (gives you marks for contextual knowledge). I didn't write a whole answer...sorry. But you basically have to state "I agree/disagree with this statement to some extent." Then start with why you agree/disagree and move onto an opposing point, try doing the opposing part two or three times to get most of the marks.
(Oh and America was the only country to have, and have tested, atomic bombs until after WW2 when Russia had developed and successfully tested it. This could have caused a nuclear WW3 between the superpowers which no one had wanted.)

Hope this was some good and relevant info,
- p

thankyou so much i thought that they meant the big superpowers too!
Reply 6
Original post by patriciaw19

Hope this was some good and relevant

Original post by stressystressy
One reason why the Korean Warincreased Cold War tensions was because it was the first proxy war of the Cold War. It proved that there was a real threat of communism spreading in other parts of the world and this in turn drove the USA to ensure it had sufficient military (nuclear) capability to challenge the USSR and defend itself. This increased Cold War tensions as it heightened the ongoing competition between the USA and USSR.
Another reason why it increased Cold War tensions was because it demonstrated the USA’s commitment to containing communism, as there were 7500 US troops stationed in South Korea. Furthermore, it also showed the power that the Americans had within the UN. This increased Cold War tensions as the USSR may have felt intimidated by the drive and excessive power possessed by the US.

Then you would go on to explain why two other events in the 1950s caused tension (e.g. the Vietnam War and the Space Race)

Hope this helps :smile:

thankyouu now i know what actually happened in the Korean war and know what other points i need to write about !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending