The Student Room Group

Having a difficult time relating to people.

I'm a 22 year old guy studying in uni and I'm having quite a difficult time relating to people younger than me. It may be cause of my introverted nature so I find it hard to have a conversation without running out of things to speak about quickly. Plus there's an underlying awkward feel that I'm much older than them as well. Another reason may be because I have really really close friends back home and we hang out almost every day so there was no need for me to go out and introduce myself all over again and set ground rules for making friends again for years. But now that I'm in uni I find myself hanging out alone a lot which I don't mind but it gets tiring sometime. I do have a society but they're not that socially active. Is there any advice you guys or girls can give? Thanks.
Reply 1
Probably because your introvert.

Age will not be an issue tbh unless you yourself act like it is.
Think of it like putting in dentures or wearing a wig. the person wearing them is constantly paranoid that people are looking at their teeth or hair, when in reality it's not the case.
Reply 2
Take a look at this from a perspective of reality:

When you engage yourself in full-time employment, you will be working with people who are 5, 10, 15, 25 years older and younger than you (perhaps for you, the latter is a little extreme). What will you do? Leave and hope to find a job where everyone in the same age? We are all humans. We all have things we like and dislike. It may come as a surprise to you but people who are 16 will have similar interests as people who are 66. There will just be less of them.

You are involved in a society, great. They are not socially active, not so great. But - I'm sure your university will have hundreds of societies. Just join a load of them! Yes, there'll always be that awkward first time, but life is about awkward first time's and then getting over them.

I would break down the barriers that are holding you back (yourself) and really make the effort. The fact you have reached out here is great. You can build on this. If you want my experience:

I am 33, I attend university. My university friend group ranges from people who are 18, to the odd mature student like me. We are not wildly different people, we share similar interests. I never once feel like they think I'm a weirdo or whatever. If they did, I'd just drive myself insane with anxiety. If they thought I was weird, why would they spend time with me? (Maybe they are weird themselves, hmmmm). The point I'm making is that you can make friends, you just have to put yourself out there.
Reply 3
Original post by DCDCo
Take a look at this from a perspective of reality:

When you engage yourself in full-time employment, you will be working with people who are 5, 10, 15, 25 years older and younger than you (perhaps for you, the latter is a little extreme). What will you do? Leave and hope to find a job where everyone in the same age? We are all humans. We all have things we like and dislike. It may come as a surprise to you but people who are 16 will have similar interests as people who are 66. There will just be less of them.

You are involved in a society, great. They are not socially active, not so great. But - I'm sure your university will have hundreds of societies. Just join a load of them! Yes, there'll always be that awkward first time, but life is about awkward first time's and then getting over them.

I would break down the barriers that are holding you back (yourself) and really make the effort. The fact you have reached out here is great. You can build on this. If you want my experience:

I am 33, I attend university. My university friend group ranges from people who are 18, to the odd mature student like me. We are not wildly different people, we share similar interests. I never once feel like they think I'm a weirdo or whatever. If they did, I'd just drive myself insane with anxiety. If they thought I was weird, why would they spend time with me? (Maybe they are weird themselves, hmmmm). The point I'm making is that you can make friends, you just have to put yourself out there.

Thanks for a really meaningful reply, I have really tried for my first month to meeting people which I suceeded. I thought things were going alright but I just recently found out that they've made a group chat without me in them and have decided to all get a house together. Which is a bummer but hey what can I do. I will try to join more society this coming second semester and try to crawl myself out of this dump I'm in. Thanks mate.
Reply 4
Original post by mrpotatoaim
Thanks for a really meaningful reply, I have really tried for my first month to meeting people which I suceeded. I thought things were going alright but I just recently found out that they've made a group chat without me in them and have decided to all get a house together. Which is a bummer but hey what can I do. I will try to join more society this coming second semester and try to crawl myself out of this dump I'm in. Thanks mate.

The trial and tribulations of second-year housing arrangements are common-place in every university campus. Trust me. Forget them. If necessary, find private accommodation, or, just be that person who is in halls for another year. At least you can get another crack at the fresher's life! hah.

On a more serious note - If you are going to join societies, the most important thing is to join ones first that you are interested in. That way, you know you will have things in common with those attending. I have gate-crashed the most ridiculous society nights with friends who are friends of friends of friends, but, we all still got on!

Another way might be to pick up some sport? Things that aren't necessarily competitive, like boxing, could be fun. That way you get to join in on the fitness aspect of it and you can also go along to the socials.

Also, there will come a time where you just have to make the first move. Honestly, people aren't horrible by default. You hear something going down, if you are part of that conversation but not invited, you can just say "Hey, mind if I come along? It'd be good to get out" or something. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Then you just move on!

Best of luck and keep at it. If you happen to be at a London uni, drop me a pm and I'll head out for a drink with you!
Reply 5
Original post by DCDCo
The trial and tribulations of second-year housing arrangements are common-place in every university campus. Trust me. Forget them. If necessary, find private accommodation, or, just be that person who is in halls for another year. At least you can get another crack at the fresher's life! hah.

On a more serious note - If you are going to join societies, the most important thing is to join ones first that you are interested in. That way, you know you will have things in common with those attending. I have gate-crashed the most ridiculous society nights with friends who are friends of friends of friends, but, we all still got on!

Another way might be to pick up some sport? Things that aren't necessarily competitive, like boxing, could be fun. That way you get to join in on the fitness aspect of it and you can also go along to the socials.

Also, there will come a time where you just have to make the first move. Honestly, people aren't horrible by default. You hear something going down, if you are part of that conversation but not invited, you can just say "Hey, mind if I come along? It'd be good to get out" or something. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Then you just move on!

Best of luck and keep at it. If you happen to be at a London uni, drop me a pm and I'll head out for a drink with you!

Thanks mate, great to see that there's amazing people like you around the world helping others. After a few days of sitting on it I've decided to fix myself first and keep healthy. Going out to walks more and doing mini exercise routines to keep my mind active. Boxing was a good shout as it was something I wanted to do from the start. So we'll see from here how things go. Again thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending