The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Often its because they have no confidence. Maybe they think your going to turn around and snap....
Reply 2
definitely because it's difficult to understand what the heck they're trying to say.. nice loud clear voice please :smile:
Reply 3
... I mumble. Lots.

People like me annoy you? Aww. =(

Ah well.
Reply 4
I sit next to a guy at work who is perfectly clear when he's on the phone but the second he speaks to you starts mumbling. I've got to the point where instead of asking him to repeat it, I just nod and pretend I heard and when he smiles take it as my cue that he's said something funny so politely laugh and leave it at that.
I mumble.
It's shyness and very embarassing haha
Owelll i'm getting better now at not doing it.
:smile:
Reply 6
Pardon ?!

Yeah it is annoying, I still do it though.
Reply 7
Yes. MY sister is incapable of speaking clearly. I'm forever asking "what?" after she says something. Normally she has to repeatit a good 3 or 4 times before people hear her properly. It really annoys me at School in lessons when people mumble. I sit near the front in my English class and there's one boy in my class who sits at the back of the room and mumbles terribly, and it kind of became a joke between me, my friend who sits opposite me and our teacher that she'd just say 'interesting' when he finished speaking, even though she knew that no-one understood/heard a word of what he just said :biggrin:
I mumble, but only because I get really anxious when I speak to most people; half of the time I don't even realise it.
Reply 9
I don't mumble, I'm just quiet. It doesn't really annoy me.
I can see why people who are shy or nervous do it.
But some people I know, they just do it because they can't be bothered to speak properly.

my boyfriend mumbles a lot and i usualy just agree which can make things worse when iv agreed to something i have no idea about lol
It annoys me if it's mumbling to the extent that I can't understand what they're saying. It gets a bit tiresome if you have to ask them to repeat what they said more than once.
Reply 13
I mumble sometimes apparently. I think i am talking fine but obviously cannot be because i am asked 'what did you say?' sometimes. Never get asked to repeat it more than twice and i don't intend to mumble. I'm trying to make myself more clear so hoping that will help cos i wouldn't call myself shy just got myself in a bad habit.
People that mutter under their breath annoy me more. If it matters that much that you have to say something, why not say it so that the other person feels bad that they wronged you?
Reply 15
Terryw
Yes, but i think all teenagers go through a mumble stage, maybe around 14-16, they mumble most things, towards the end of their sentence, talk really fast or just mumble everything. I think its a self conscious thing

Yeah i would agree with that. I'm 16 and coming out of the phase now lol My brother who is 18 does it a lot and it really annoys me all the time he talks :eek: :p: I have a mate who is really shy and barely talks, and when he talks he is very quiet (mumbling a lot of the time), but he doesn't get on my nerves, he's cool and tidy as hell :smile:
My friend does it. Its not cos she can't be bothered to speak, she just mumbles everything she says.
She also has braces, which makes it harder to understand sometimes.
She also talks to herself... :ninja:
But thats another story. :smile:
No, i love it. :s
I mumble. :biggrin:

I find it helps in normal conversation, as people then take a genuine interest when you repeat it clearly because they feel they've possibly missed something important.
Emerald
I sit next to a guy at work who is perfectly clear when he's on the phone but the second he speaks to you starts mumbling. I've got to the point where instead of asking him to repeat it, I just nod and pretend I heard and when he smiles take it as my cue that he's said something funny so politely laugh and leave it at that.

lmao, this sounds just like someone I know, and I do the same thing with the laughing :smile:

It doesn't really annoy me when people mumble in a conversation because you can get them to repeat it, but when really unconfident people make speeches at school and mumble, now that drives me mad.

Latest

Trending

Trending