The Student Room Group

Extra A-level dicussion (RS/Philosphy)

Hey,

I take 3 A levels, and I was wondering if RS- A level, or A-level Philosphy would be an easy A* to get in an essay based subject (let me explain)

My ability : GCSE RE
*Disclaimer: I only mention such things below because I would like the perspective of someone whos done RS A-level to judge if I have good potential at this A level - I don't want to take the A level to find out its a lot more work than I thought.
At the same time, I don't want people weren't of the same ability when starting RS A level to comment and say how super hard it is - thats a skewed in my perspective as I've had been told that a lot for even in A levels - when studying a certain facilitiaing subject I was told it was found super hard by lots of skilled students - presumably of my ability, which put me off before realising how easy it was in my own view - just as people of relatively low ability don't want higher abililty students to brag how easy something is, I don't want people of relatively low ability to exacabate any common difficulty they faced in these A levels lol.

- in GCSE mocks exams I scored full marks in RS without a single ounce of revision - yes I'm being serious lol , my teacher assumed I was taking it for A level until I told her I was studying maths, Physics etc.

- I literally only got a lower band answer once or twice in class when doing exam questions, always full marks :P -

- when it came to the actual exam I did no revsion effectively over the 2 years of study as that had served me well for my mocks, and topic tests, I ended up getting an A* overall

from this information above - when it comes to writing technique and organsing information Im fairly confident im already at a good level - is this sufficient for A level

Questions:

I've looked a bit at the RS- A level and Philosphy A level and it seems the format of the questions look similar to GCSE RE, as well as exemplar candidates writing - the only difference it seems to me RS - A Level is just GCSE but in a little further detail - am I mainly correct on this?
1) If not could you give an example of where I would be wrong?

2)are there any new writing techniques/ skills you have to use at RS A level, compared to GCSE - already having the an ability to organise information, see what teachings agree and disagree with one another,

3) So even though I scored an A* I could have possibly seen myself being quite high in that band - so what was the workload like for someone of a similar or higher ability than me when they studied RS/Philosphy - A level
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Fjordsarenice
Hey,

I take 3 A levels, and I was wondering if RS- A level, or A-level Philosphy would be an easy A* to get in an essay based subject (let me explain)

My ability : GCSE RE
*Disclaimer: I only mention such things below because I would like the perspective of someone whos done RS A-level to judge if I have good potential at this A level - I don't want to take the A level to find out its a lot more work than I thought.
At the same time, I don't want people weren't of the same ability when starting RS A level to comment and say how super hard it is - thats a skewed in my perspective as I've had been told that a lot for even in A levels - when studying a certain facilitiaing subject I was told it was found super hard by lots of skilled students - presumably of my ability, which put me off before realising how easy it was in my own view - just as people of relatively low ability don't want higher abililty students to brag how easy something is, I don't want people of relatively low ability to exacabate any common difficulty they faced in these A levels lol.

- in GCSE mocks exams I scored full marks in RS without a single ounce of revision - yes I'm being serious lol , my teacher assumed I was taking it for A level until I told her I was studying maths, Physics etc.

- I literally only got a lower band answer once or twice in class when doing exam questions, always full marks :P -

- when it came to the actual exam I did no revsion effectively over the 2 years of study as that had served me well for my mocks, and topic tests, I ended up getting an A* overall

from this information above - when it comes to writing technique and organsing information Im fairly confident im already at a good level - is this sufficient for A level

Questions:

I've looked a bit at the RS- A level and Philosphy A level and it seems the format of the questions look similar to GCSE RE, as well as exemplar candidates writing - the only difference it seems to me RS - A Level is just GCSE but in a little further detail - am I mainly correct on this?
1) If not could you give an example of where I would be wrong?

2)are there any new writing techniques/ skills you have to use at RS A level, compared to GCSE - already having the an ability to organise information, see what teachings agree and disagree with one another,

3) So even though I scored an A* I could have possibly seen myself being quite high in that band - so what was the workload like for someone of a similar or higher ability than me when they studied RS/Philosphy - A level

Hey!

I did GCSE RS and found it pretty easy, but while I enjoy the A-Level, it is hard because you have to really get the right nuance in your essays - and then the questions are sometimes really left-field.

I'd suggest you probably could get an A* with an adequate amount of work but you do have to be quite interested in it... My class started out as maybe 10 and is now half that, probably because they presumed it would be an easy A like the GCSE was. The jump is quite big, let's just say.

But maybe with the board you would be doing it could be easy, I do OCR and the questions are miles away from what they were at GCSE, we're talking no more 3 paragraph 12 markers where you can say any old nonsense. You have 3 40 mark essays to do and, while I can now write A* level essays in this time, some people find it challenging to stay on the B grade kind of area.

I'd suggest really looking at the spec and seeing if it interests you, truly, because two years studying something you don't want to do is such a waste of time.

Sorry if this isn't quite the answer you'd like! Let me know if there's anything I can answer! :smile:
Original post by Mullme
Hey!

I did GCSE RS and found it pretty easy, but while I enjoy the A-Level, it is hard because you have to really get the right nuance in your essays - and then the questions are sometimes really left-field.

I'd suggest you probably could get an A* with an adequate amount of work but you do have to be quite interested in it... My class started out as maybe 10 and is now half that, probably because they presumed it would be an easy A like the GCSE was. The jump is quite big, let's just say.

But maybe with the board you would be doing it could be easy, I do OCR and the questions are miles away from what they were at GCSE, we're talking no more 3 paragraph 12 markers where you can say any old nonsense. You have 3 40 mark essays to do and, while I can now write A* level essays in this time, some people find it challenging to stay on the B grade kind of area.

I'd suggest really looking at the spec and seeing if it interests you, truly, because two years studying something you don't want to do is such a waste of time.

Sorry if this isn't quite the answer you'd like! Let me know if there's anything I can answer! :smile:

No that's really helpful thank you! And yes, I was surprised how exam board depedent the difficulty could be! AQA GCE RS has no 40 mark essays, 25 at most I believe. I'm currently pondering whether the spec for AQA Philosphy or AQA RS is better suited to my interests
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest