The Student Room Group

St Dominic's Sixth Form College Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

How is Physics and computer science in St dom's?
Ok...guys...now the most important question of all 😁what’s the canteen like at Dom’s. Do students tend to eat there and do you need to pay by cash or a credit facility on account ...and is there a Starbucks in house ...like some other colleges. Thanks
Original post by Garcia124
Ok...guys...now the most important question of all 😁what’s the canteen like at Dom’s. Do students tend to eat there and do you need to pay by cash or a credit facility on account ...and is there a Starbucks in house ...like some other colleges. Thanks

We have two places - the canteen is great and normally has warm meals and we also have a shack which is more of an outdoor place (with a hut) and there you get sandwiches, fizzy drinks, warm drinks and snacks. To pay in both places you use your fingerprint (the biometric system).
(edited 3 years ago)
How is everyone holding up nowadays?
Gaming sleeping gaming sleeping in that order oh and eating
Original post by hiiiii1
We have two places - the canteen is great and normally has warm meals and we also have a shack which is more of an outdoor place (with a hut) and there you get sandwiches, fizzy drinks, warm drinks and snacks. To pay in both places you use your fingerprint (the biometric system).

Biometric! Is that when parent put money into a system at Dom’s and we utilise the funds by finger print recognition ....sorry don’t know
Original post by RandomHumanBeing
How is everyone holding up nowadays?

Confused apprehensive overwhelmed not knowing about how lenient gcse grades are going to be. More so will Dom’s take back offers if we don’t get predicted grades ....So long to go yet!
Biometric! Is that when parent put money into a system at Dom’s and we utilise the funds by finger print recognition ....sorry don’t know

Yes that's right - it's done via ParentPay
Original post by tarasewiczE11387
Hi, I've been following this thread from time to time and I think it's a great opportunity to fill in some gaps for people like me who are joining. Is anyone doing philosophy?? I know it's a subject taken by few and hope it won't be cancelled..

Hiii, I’m not sure if anyone has answered you and if you’re still wondering but I’ve picked philosophy.
Confused apprehensive overwhelmed not knowing about how lenient gcse grades are going to be. More so will Dom’s take back offers if we don’t get predicted grades ....So long to go yet!

Yh, same. Just a few more weeks to go till results day I guess - unless they just send the grades in through email.
Does anyone know when they're going to send transition work?
Does anyone know when they're going to send transition work?

I think they've already uploaded some bridging work. There was an email a while ago.
Original post by znbjsm
I think they've already uploaded some bridging work. There was an email a while ago.

Uh oh was that compulsory? 🥴 have to get myself working eventually I suppose
Uh oh was that compulsory? 🥴 have to get myself working eventually I suppose

I don't think was compulsory. I've barely looked at it 😬 Other schools I've applied for are being much stricter when it comes to the transition work.
When I did the transition work two years ago, it was compulsory (although I did get most of it in person when I went there to enrol in late June).
hi there! I don't know if anyone has asked this yet, I was just wondering how diverse St Dominics is? as in do you feel 'out of place' if you aren't a catholic?

also I've heard that you should only go here if you want to do STEM, though I don't know how true this is, are the humanities subjects good too? (I chose psych, geo & English lit)
Original post by redrosee12
hi there! I don't know if anyone has asked this yet, I was just wondering how diverse St Dominics is? as in do you feel 'out of place' if you aren't a catholic?

also I've heard that you should only go here if you want to do STEM, though I don't know how true this is, are the humanities subjects good too? (I chose psych, geo & English lit)

Religion here is not an issue - regardless of your beliefs, you'll fit in just fine (I'm a Hindu and I found that it didn't matter at all - St Doms is really diverse - people are from all backgrounds and places).

Although I did STEM at Doms, I'm sure the other departments are good too - I've heard great things about them so you should be ok.
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you think any compulsory work will be set? I wish we could get a bit more guidance with preparing for courses :/
Original post by Oceaneyess
Do you think any compulsory work will be set? I wish we could get a bit more guidance with preparing for courses :/

Same. I'm hoping they set some in the next few weeks as I'm slightly missing work, ngl.
Same. I'm hoping they set some in the next few weeks as I'm slightly missing work, ngl.

Honestly same but I just don't know where to start so it would help us sm if they set something. Also most of my friends going to other sixth forms are being set surveys and stuff to do so I'm getting kinda worried.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending