The Student Room Group

Best Voting System

I think it’s AV+. Discuss.
Original post by JICMB77
I think it’s AV+. Discuss.

AV+ is good
Best in what sense?

I mean The Conservative Party will tell you FPTP is best as it increases their stranglehold over the country and reduces the chances of new parties upsetting the establishment.

However, from a democratic perspective, it is terrible.
I'd probably tend towards standard AV as the best voting system - it keeps local representation and avoids the spoiler effect whilst making the result far more proportional, but it doesn't just result in three or more party coalition after coalition. Also - crucially - there's a greater likelihood of it being instituted in countries that currently use FPTP as it wouldn't mean the two major parties would sacrifice all hope of a majority forever (think the 2019 Australian Election) so I think it's a more realistic option. Also - personal preference - I don't massively like systems that incorporate the existence of political parties into the system itself as it gives party bosses much more control over their party than they currently have and makes them inflexible to change.
Literally EVERYTHING but FPTP. Alternative vote, party proportional etc.
After all, the country is becoming much more party-based and still voting for MPs based on area isn't working anymore.
In 2011 we almost switched to AV but then a mixture of terrible propaganda and apathy didn't let it work out.
Reply 5
Original post by SnowMiku
Literally EVERYTHING but FPTP. Alternative vote, party proportional etc.
After all, the country is becoming much more party-based and still voting for MPs based on area isn't working anymore.
In 2011 we almost switched to AV but then a mixture of terrible propaganda and apathy didn't let it work out.

Yep, AV could have been a good transition towards full Proportional Representation in the future, but unfortunately the country believed the lies from the Tories.
Original post by JICMB77
Yep, AV could have been a good transition towards full Proportional Representation in the future, but unfortunately the country believed the lies from the Tories.

Yup, iirc which party advocated for what was defo. split tories and right wing vs everyone else
The Tories only lied to their Lib Dem partners.The Lib Dems wanted a referendum on PR, but worded the deal with Cameron's lot badly; they only got agreement for a referendum on reform.The Tories then played with Clegg's pitiful bunch of weaklings like a Rottweiler with a toddler.We were given a Referendum choice of status quo or vaguely kinda sorta diff, but not PR, voting system.Unsurprisingly, not a good result.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending