The Student Room Group

Not sure going to pass MSc

I'm going back to uni to do semester 2 of a msc course. I'm currently failing 3 of 5 modules and to be honest its just going to get harder from therein. I can't just drop out and give up because I moved here and have paid alot of money to get to this point. So what exactly is the best approach then knowing that I'm going in with a pass looking unlikely?
Original post by steamed-hams
I'm going back to uni to do semester 2 of a msc course. I'm currently failing 3 of 5 modules and to be honest its just going to get harder from therein. I can't just drop out and give up because I moved here and have paid alot of money to get to this point. So what exactly is the best approach then knowing that I'm going in with a pass looking unlikely?

I've certainly been going through the same feelings! I'm currently on my MSc.

Just remember that failing modules isn't the end of the world, you can do re-takes in July/August and still graduate with the rest of your class.

Maybe by the time you get to re-taking them (assuming you do fail) you'll have learnt some more content from the other modules and pass them :smile:

Any you struggling for any particular reason or just finding the course quite difficult?

You can always retake the modules you failed (albeit for capped mark), so it isn't a disaster. The only difficulties come if your university decides not to allow you to progress to the dissertation stage of the MSc, if they deem you unable to cope academically.

Have you been getting support from your university (i.e. lecturers' office hours, student support, study skills, personal tutor etc.)?

Why do you think you failed the 3 modules last semester? Is it an issue that can be (or has been) resolved?

go through the brief & marking criteria of each exam & coursework meticulously.

with coursework establish what you are competent with & what stuff you need to improve on, layout a loose schedule on how you plan to complete the assignments (giving time for problems) & go and speak to professors with queries if & when you have them.

For exams build a plan on how to cover the content and practice exam style questions (and timings).

At MSc level you should already be a competent student, you only need 50%, hard work & perseverance should be able to get you that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending