The Student Room Group

Conditions that disqualify you from becoming a paramedic?

Hello,

I've got an interview for an MSc Paramedic Science conversion course and I'm wondering if my tachycardia diagnosis will disqualify me on the medical screening?

My tachycardia is mild, well-controlled by propranolol, and does not restrict me in participating in sports as long as I've taken my medicine.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ecatkinson3
Hello,

I've got an interview for an MSc Paramedic Science conversion course and I'm wondering if my tachycardia diagnosis will disqualify me on the medical screening?

My tachycardia is mild, well-controlled by propranolol, and does not restrict me in participating in sports as long as I've taken my medicine.

For what it's worth, when I was looking at a NQP jobs, I believe apart of the medical stated you needed to have a resting HR of <90bpm.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TMedi
For what it's worth, when I was looking at a NQP jobs, I believe apart of the medical stated you needed to have a resting HR of <90bpm.

Thanks for letting me know!
Unmedicated, my resting HR is high 70s/low 80s when sleeping but my HR spikes abnormally. For example, even after sitting down for several hours my heart rate will be between 110-120bpm and if eating too then it can go up to 140bmp. My medication regulates all of this though and then my HR is in normal ranges. Really hoping this won't be an issue because the medication I take is also a very common medication for anxiety so there are probably other paramedics that take it.
I’m not sure tbhh but good luck with it 👍
Original post by ecatkinson3
Hello,

will you pass an LGV medical to get your C1 provisional?

do you have a problem with absence from study or work ?

Quick Reply

Latest