The Student Room Group

BBC article speaking about accommodations for neurodiverse workers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51014028
Probably seems like such a non-issue (wouldn't be surprised if someone accused it of being SJW nonsense? Since thats a popular thing to call concepts you're not familiar with) but its so nice to see a story about neurodivergency, with the term!, be on something as widely read as the BBC. I have ADHD myself, and everywhere i've worked or helped (from customer service to studying at University) are almost designed to make it harder for me to do my job or my studies. I hope this is the beginning of a greater consideration of disabled workers who primarily have mental issues, though obviously theres still more to be done for the physically disabled.
Reply 1
neurodiverse? Is it just me or are people turning the word diverse into a suffix and ramming it on any old word these days?
Reply 2
Right up the BBC's street...
Original post by Napp
neurodiverse? Is it just me or are people turning the word diverse into a suffix and ramming it on any old word these days?

As a word neurodiverse is actually incredibly useful. For example as someone with ADHD I don't technically have a disability, or at least not one which is recognised by employers. Despite this I still need special accommodations to make sure I can do my job. The same goes for autism, which is not a disability in a majority of cases. It just simply means there must be some accommodations made.
If we speak about them in terms of neurodivergencies then we can speak about them in terms of work accommodations, which are necessary for people who function so differently to comfortably and permanently enter the work force.
i think it's great :smile:

Original post by princetonalec
As a word neurodiverse is actually incredibly useful. For example as someone with ADHD I don't technically have a disability, or at least not one which is recognised by employers. Despite this I still need special accommodations to make sure I can do my job. The same goes for autism, which is not a disability in a majority of cases. It just simply means there must be some accommodations made.
If we speak about them in terms of neurodivergencies then we can speak about them in terms of work accommodations, which are necessary for people who function so differently to comfortably and permanently enter the work force.

PRSOM
Reply 5
Original post by princetonalec
As a word neurodiverse is actually incredibly useful.

As far as I can tell, that means people are different. Is there any negative connotation to it, does it only apply to people with a 'problem' or something?
Original post by z-hog
As far as I can tell, that means people are different. Is there any negative connotation to it, does it only apply to people with a 'problem' or something?

Neurodiverse is a term for anyone who isn't neurotypical? So say you had depression, that would count as a neurodiversity and a mental illness, but my ADHD would only be a neurodiversity.
Think of it like an umbrella term. And I (personally, there may be some people who see and feel differently) don't see it as an othering term, it just makes it clear that there are needs which other people may not have. Its like autistic vs. allistic or disabled vs. abled. They're just words we use to see who does and does not need help, and unfortunately (especially for persons with ADHD since we aren't technically classed as being disabled and learning difficilties which arent dyslexia aren't really accommodated for) there hasn't been a term for people who need a slightly different form of help until neurodiverse was created.
Does that make sense? I just woke up m

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending