The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MidgetFever
I'd give him a mouthful for sure, but I wouldn't punch him.
What does violence solve? nothing.

Exactly :wink:
Original post by IH8Studying
Lmfaoooooo I’m pretty sure that’s a joke thread

I'm pretty sure they both are.
“I don’t like your attitude” is escalating the situation?

In my opinion yes. It's a challenge for a further response, as opposed to retreating or de escalation. It's a slightly more civil way of shouting 'you got a fkin problem pal?'
Glad I'm not the only one. :lol:
Imagine the state of society if we went around punching anyone that disrespected us.
I'd give him a mouthful for sure, but I wouldn't punch him.
What does violence solve? nothing.

Me too but OP’s reaction is okay. If you’re gonna disrespect someone, don’t be surprised if they disrespect you back even harder.

It doesn’t solve anything but I’m sure the homeless man won’t try anything again after that punch
Original post by StriderHort
I'm pretty sure they both are.

In my opinion yes. It's a challenge for a further response, as opposed to retreating or de escalation. It's a slightly more civil way of shouting 'you got a fkin problem pal?'

Saying “what are you gonna do about it” is. Simply saying “I don’t like your attitude” isn’t. What he said is actually really mature in response to the swearing.
Me too but OP’s reaction is okay. If you’re gonna disrespect someone, don’t be surprised if they disrespect you back even harder.

It doesn’t solve anything but I’m sure the homeless man won’t try anything again after that punch

I mean... the guy punched him back.
I just think the whole thing could have been avoided tbh. I wouldn't have wanted to be there on a busy tube whilst two guys were hacking it out. They're technically being disrespectful to those around them.

That's the thing. He did. They both got into a physical confrontation / fight on the TUBE.
That's what annoys me.
Of course spitting is wrong, I 💯 agree.
But them fighting literally solved nothing - it's an ego thing for OP than anything else (he wouldn't have walked away).
This definitely happened
Saying “what are you gonna do about it” is. Simply saying “I don’t like your attitude” isn’t. What he said is actually really mature in response to the swearing.

I respectfully disagree, I would interpret it as a challenge. and, well, the result didn't go too mature did it? still rolling about on a train with someone.
I mean... the guy punched him back.
I just think the whole thing could have been avoided tbh. I wouldn't have wanted to be there on a busy tube whilst two guys were hacking it out. They're technically being disrespectful to those around them.

Oh.
Me neither but they’d just have to deal with it.

OP, I hope you acc apologised to the homeless man whether it was accident or not.
I am so rotten for laughing way too hard at this thread.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I forgot about that but still, he’s probably not gonna try that with someone else now that he knows the outcome.

Some people can’t control their anger very well. I would’ve at least told him to “meet me outside”.
But I would acc be FUMING.

Original post by StriderHort
I respectfully disagree, I would interpret it as a challenge. and, well, the result didn't go too mature did it? still rolling about on a train with someone.

the homeless man got what he deserved anyways.
Oh.
Me neither but they’d just have to deal with it.

Urm no, the people on the tube shouldn't have to "deal with" 2 grown adults trying to boost their ego.
That's a joke.
I agree he shouldn’t have done it on the train. That’s bothering other people. But In that moment, you’re not thinking about bothering everyone else. Like wtf, someone just spat in your eye???? You’d just be super angry.
No I would just ask them why the swore at maybe but if they're physically aggressive towards me then sure I'll punch them

Original post by Wired_1800
Yes, I understood that point. You should learn to walk away. Most times it is not worth your reaction. If you got stabbed, you become another faceless statistic for the narrative of “lawless london”.

You should enjoy your life and have a good time. Just be careful with the way you move, some people are wild and things can go from 0 to 100 real quick. Stay safe.

Yeah, there wasn't much space but I could of kept quiet I just feel that you should try and confront hostile situations and defend yourself if you can. I understand what you mean though it probably isn't worth getting stabbed and I don't really wanna die yet I'm still young. I'm out drinking rn with three of my mates but im watching out for danger

Thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Maybe he had coronavirus so beware now you are gonna drink coronas all the time
I agree he shouldn’t have done it on the train. That’s bothering other people. But In that moment, you’re not thinking about bothering everyone else. Like wtf, someone just spat in your eye???? You’d just be super angry.

Anger doesn't justify physical violence / confrontation.
I get angry with people sometimes, I don't go around punching them.
The point is OP should have walked away given the situation rather than make it worse by getting into a physical altercation.
The homeless guy could’ve said anything. Could’ve said the most hurtful thing in the world to me and I wouldn’t have done a single thing back to him. I would’ve walked away. But once you spit on someone or put your hands on them, whatever happens after is justified.

But okay I was just trying to understand your point of view. Well done for being extremely patient!
He spat at you.. I would have laid him out flat. Him being homeless is zero excuse for him spitting at you, are homeless people allowed to spit at people because they are homeless? There is no logic in that. I don’t see how you are in the wrong, you were assaulted and defended yourself, simple. Even if the police got involved you are technically the victim they couldn’t do a damn thing.
The homeless guy could’ve said anything. Could’ve said the most hurtful thing in the world to me and I wouldn’t have done a single thing back to him. I would’ve walked away. But once you spit on someone or put your hands on them, whatever happens after is justified.

But okay I was just trying to understand your point of view. Well done for being extremely patient!

i agree but i sometimes think these homeless guys are baiting you into 'assaulting' you so they can try and sue you later or something

Latest