The Student Room Group

My workouts are too noisy for house mates

Hi 3rd who's finishing in may. I like to do home workouts to release my stress. I either do it first thing in the morning or evening around 6pm. Generally in my room or the lounge. My house mate has said it's way to noisy on the floor boards (in room below me) but when I'm in the lounge they complain im in the way or they want to watch tv. Plus it takes me an extra 20minutes to clean the hard floors before I can workout. Any advice ?
Original post by Bubblespace
Hi 3rd who's finishing in may. I like to do home workouts to release my stress. I either do it first thing in the morning or evening around 6pm. Generally in my room or the lounge. My house mate has said it's way to noisy on the floor boards (in room below me) but when I'm in the lounge they complain im in the way or they want to watch tv. Plus it takes me an extra 20minutes to clean the hard floors before I can workout. Any advice ?

Yes, reach a compromise by saying that you will stop doing them first thing in the morning which must be deeply irritating to the people you wake up, but will continue with the 6pm workouts in your bedroom.

Your housemate below you is being a bit unreasonable to mind noise from the floor boards at 6pm but I can understand her annoyance at waking up to the sound of the noise coming from above
Original post by Bubblespace

Can't you do them early in the morning in the shared lounge? It seems unlikely many people would be about in the common spaces then, and you also won't be waking up your housemate who lives below you.
Seems obvious, use the lounge in the morning, and your own space in the evening. If you've been trying to do it the other way round i'm not surprised people are annoyed, working out makes a deceptive amount of racket.

Another alternative is going outside,, going to a gym, or renting a more private/ground floor living space, otherwise when sharing there will always be these compromises
(edited 4 years ago)
put headphones in, do it in your room and ignore complaints if it's not at a ridiculous hour like 3am.
Reply 5
You said theres bedrooms below you. Why don't you switch rooms with the ones who got their rooms below, on the ground floor then they cannot really complain about the floorboards noise from above, esp if your room would be on the ground floor.

Also why don't you do them outside, like go do a run outside etc? Or what is your workout routine that you do at home

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending