The Student Room Group

Computer science degree

I’m looking into studying computer science at uni and just want some insight into it preferably by someone who has studied or is studying it. I’m looking at uni of York, but still am looking for a general insight so what uni isn’t imperative.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Paypurr
I’m looking into studying computer science at uni and just want some insight into it preferably by someone who has studied or is studying it. I’m looking at uni of York, but still am looking for a general insight so what uni isn’t imperative.

Thanks! :smile:

Do u like coding or theory? CS is theory/logic behind computers, while computing/software eng degrees are more geared towards coding, practical CS & jobs. If u want to do AI/ML or any sort of CS research, CS is the way to go, but if u are more focused on career and an easier workload (my opinion), software is the way to go. U could still make 30k pounds out of college with any computer degree. Wise career choice if u r genuinely interested.
Original post by MgmtCS
Do u like coding or theory? CS is theory/logic behind computers, while computing/software eng degrees are more geared towards coding, practical CS & jobs. If u want to do AI/ML or any sort of CS research, CS is the way to go, but if u are more focused on career and an easier workload (my opinion), software is the way to go. U could still make 30k pounds out of college with any computer degree. Wise career choice if u r genuinely interested.

I like both, however I would want to pursue coding for a future career and was looking at software engineering when I first applied to uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Paypurr
I like both, however I would want to pursue coding for a future career and was looking at software engineering when I first applied to uni.

Then do CS. Slightly more oppurtunities. CS can easily do everything that SWE does, but not other way around.
Original post by MgmtCS
Then do CS. Slightly more oppurtunities. CS can easily do everything that SWE does, but not other way around.

Thank you, I am hoping I get onto the course. It’s what I should have done in the first place looking more into it, but you live and learn :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending