The Student Room Group

Daughter choosing A levels for product design - help!

Hi. My 16 yr old is looking into product design and needs a university that is more aesthetic and hands on design ( like Loughborough) vs more theoretical engineering at somewhere like Imperial. She loves DT and is on track to get an 8/9 in gcse but her physics and maths will be more like 6/7 while English language will be 8/9. We are looking at DT, math and English for A levels but worry if she decides to go engineering slant the lack of an A level physics will let her down. Or maybe she should do physics but not math? She was recently diagnosed adhd and on meds her grades have gone up hugely and she does not know if her lower physics and maths are a result of lack of meds until three months ago or if she will never be able to get to the level she needs for degree. She wanted to do DT, math and physics but worries if a 7 at gcse is too low to move forward even if she loves the subjects. Any advice on what unis she should start looking at? What A levels she should focus on and any first hand experience would be so helpful. Thank you
Original post by MumMargie
Hi. My 16 yr old is looking into product design and needs a university that is more aesthetic and hands on design ( like Loughborough) vs more theoretical engineering at somewhere like Imperial. She loves DT and is on track to get an 8/9 in gcse but her physics and maths will be more like 6/7 while English language will be 8/9. We are looking at DT, math and English for A levels but worry if she decides to go engineering slant the lack of an A level physics will let her down. Or maybe she should do physics but not math? She was recently diagnosed adhd and on meds her grades have gone up hugely and she does not know if her lower physics and maths are a result of lack of meds until three months ago or if she will never be able to get to the level she needs for degree. She wanted to do DT, math and physics but worries if a 7 at gcse is too low to move forward even if she loves the subjects. Any advice on what unis she should start looking at? What A levels she should focus on and any first hand experience would be so helpful. Thank you

Have you looked at the A level requirements of different universities?

Try different A level combinations in this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

What are school suggesting re A level choice suitability?
You have to do physics and maths for engineering, DT isn't necessary, and it really helps if you do further maths :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79

Try different A level combinations in this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

They are all so different. Many require both math and physics but others are less specific saying things like BBA but not able to dig down to see in what courses. I guess a good starting point is getting an idea of which unis are good for practical hands on product design with an engineering slant vs very intense theoretical academic product design would help me know where to start a short list
Reply 4

This link looks interesting. I just put in math, English and DT and it just kind of generally started pushing me towards mechanical engineering ... but then mentioned physics as needed or ideal. Trying to figure out if she drops either physics or math at A level does that limit her terribly... I will do a deeper dive. Thank you ❤️
They are all so different. Many require both math and physics but others are less specific saying things like BBA but not able to dig down to see in what courses. I guess a good starting point is getting an idea of which unis are good for practical hands on product design with an engineering slant vs very intense theoretical academic product design would help me know where to start a short list

Yes - is she looking at Product Design or Design Engineering - maybe read through some course descriptions?

@CoolCavy might be able to help - she's studying Design. ... it may take her a couple of days as she's busy.

https://university.which.co.uk/courses might also be useful.

Keep in touch
Reply 6
Yes - is she looking at Product Design or Design Engineering - maybe read through some course descriptions?

@CoolCavy might be able to help - she's studying Design. ... it may take her a couple of days as she's busy.

https://university.which.co.uk/courses might also be useful.

Keep in touch

Thx so much! She was originally looking at design engineering but has been shifting more towards product design and the aesthetics of it all. But really I think it’s because the maths and physics together makes her nervous as she is only on track for a 7 and everyone says she should have an 8 or 9 to be able to truly cope. Just gutted for her as she is very bright but has spent last five years struggling so much with this undiagnosed adhd it has worn her self esteem down terribly. Now to get diagnosed and see her grades riding and feel better but she wishes it was caught a year earlier as she is catching up on all the things she missed in the fog the last two yes plus preparing and finishing the current curriculum. So she is reviewing options ....thank you
Thx so much! She was originally looking at design engineering but has been shifting more towards product design and the aesthetics of it all. But really I think it’s because the maths and physics together makes her nervous as she is only on track for a 7 and everyone says she should have an 8 or 9 to be able to truly cope. Just gutted for her as she is very bright but has spent last five years struggling so much with this undiagnosed adhd it has worn her self esteem down terribly. Now to get diagnosed and see her grades riding and feel better but she wishes it was caught a year earlier as she is catching up on all the things she missed in the fog the last two yes plus preparing and finishing the current curriculum. So she is reviewing options ....thank you

I teach in a selective school and we ask for a grade 7 for Maths .. maybe she can have provisional A level choices> The school should be able to tell you how flexible they can be in August when results are out. If you are near a university I'd be tempted to go to an Open Day to really look at the differences - there should be some after GCSEs are finished.

I've been a SENCo so know how much the right support can hep a student :smile: Will she get allowances in the summer e.g. small room, additional time?
Reply 8
I teach in a selective school and we ask for a grade 7 for Maths .. maybe she can have provisional A level choices> The school should be able to tell you how flexible they can be in August when results are out. If you are near a university I'd be tempted to go to an Open Day to really look at the differences - there should be some after GCSEs are finished.

I've been a SENCo so know how much the right support can hep a student :smile: Will she get allowances in the summer e.g. small room, additional time?

You are so kind to reply. Yes she gets extra time. Was diagnosed with auditory processing and working memory issues age 10 and I told Ed psych I though adhd but was told I was wrong on the adhd. Years go by and she is really bright and tries hard so she masks it and she does not cause issues but the closer we got to gcse the harder it hit and there were tears and anxiety and finally her Senco attended a seminar on undiagnosed adhd in teen girls and came back and said this ticked every box. Took the psychiatrist 30 min to start talking meds and the change has been so dramatic but - while bring great for her to see she is not stupid - she know is aware of how much learning she has missed out on and feels gutted this was not caught earlier and we just wonder is she a 9 math and physics kid kind of trapped in a 7 grade due to all the catching up she has to do or is she really just a grade 7 kid in math and physics? And how do we evaluate her choices going forward to not overwhelm her but also not underestimate her. Sigh.... thank you ☺️
Reply 9
This link looks interesting. I just put in math, English and DT and it just kind of generally started pushing me towards mechanical engineering ... but then mentioned physics as needed or ideal. Trying to figure out if she drops either physics or math at A level does that limit her terribly... I will do a deeper dive. Thank you ❤️

Loving this which site. Thank you!!! ❤️
You are so kind to reply. Yes she gets extra time. Was diagnosed with auditory processing and working memory issues age 10 and I told Ed psych I though adhd but was told I was wrong on the adhd. Years go by and she is really bright and tries hard so she masks it and she does not cause issues but the closer we got to gcse the harder it hit and there were tears and anxiety and finally her Senco attended a seminar on undiagnosed adhd in teen girls and came back and said this ticked every box. Took the psychiatrist 30 min to start talking meds and the change has been so dramatic but - while bring great for her to see she is not stupid - she know is aware of how much learning she has missed out on and feels gutted this was not caught earlier and we just wonder is she a 9 math and physics kid kind of trapped in a 7 grade due to all the catching up she has to do or is she really just a grade 7 kid in math and physics? And how do we evaluate her choices going forward to not overwhelm her but also not underestimate her. Sigh.... thank you ☺️

She might find these useful to plug gaps for Maths: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

Each topic links to a video ...
Reply 11

Loving this which site. Thank you!!! ❤️

She might find these useful to plug gaps for Maths: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

Each topic links to a video ...
thank you so much! This looks perfect!!!
Currently, I am studying A-level: maths, physics, computer science, geography and taking on an EPQ with dyslexia - after achieving 9,9,9,8,8,8,7,6,6 in my GCSES. When I was picking my options I did consider taking A-level DT as it was my highest grade 9, and I also wanted to go into mechanical engineering or geographical science/resource management at university.

Personally, I received a high 8 in maths and I do understand why some students do suggest the need for an 8 or 9 to even consider taking the subject. Yet from my understanding, the value of achieving a grade 7-9 in maths is purely so the student has already been introduced to some of the first year pure content to ease them in (the latter part of the GCSE spec some lower sets ignore). Therefore I think as long as you can meet this threshold (7) and have been introduced at least it would make their life easier. Yet you have to understand they will re-teach this content regardless so it isn't a drastic concern at the end of the day.

Physics is hard nonetheless - yet it's more about the application of the content to the question. I did combined science at GCSE with a dysfunctional science department, to say the least. I ended up getting a 7/8 in the final exams but this was through a lot of cramming and the support of my parents who had degrees in the subject (which clearly was a massive help compared to the peers in the class which I was eternally grateful for). Yet science teaching nationally can be varied at most which leave a lot of students underachieving. Though I see a lesser need to have done as well in the subject to take it - on the condition you work hard. However, I would suggest taking maths with physics to make your life easier.

From the research I have done talking to university representatives and looking at university websites, you need both maths and physics for mechanical engineering. If not your significantly behind on the maths, or significantly behind on the content. Mechanics is also in both maths and physics to different levels and prospectives so it is worth doing both especially if you want to go into mechanics.

Though if you wanted to go into the aesthetics of DT then physics wouldn't be needed. Yet maths would still be vital for the course.

My recommendation personally would be to speak to their DT teacher about the possible destinations of there past students, and the careers advisor ( if their school has one because I full well know my old school didn't until 9 months before I left.)
Reply 13
Original post by CaitlinDeCat
Currently, I am studying A-level: maths, physics, computer science, geography and taking on an EPQ with dyslexia - after achieving 9,9,9,8,8,8,7,6,6 in my GCSES. When I was picking my options I did consider taking A-level DT as it was my highest grade 9, and I also wanted to go into mechanical engineering or geographical science/resource management at university.

Personally, I received a high 8 in maths and I do understand why some students do suggest the need for an 8 or 9 to even consider taking the subject. Yet from my understanding, the value of achieving a grade 7-9 in maths is purely so the student has already been introduced to some of the first year pure content to ease them in (the latter part of the GCSE spec some lower sets ignore). Therefore I think as long as you can meet this threshold (7) and have been introduced at least it would make their life easier. Yet you have to understand they will re-teach this content regardless so it isn't a drastic concern at the end of the day.

Physics is hard nonetheless - yet it's more about the application of the content to the question. I did combined science at GCSE with a dysfunctional science department, to say the least. I ended up getting a 7/8 in the final exams but this was through a lot of cramming and the support of my parents who had degrees in the subject (which clearly was a massive help compared to the peers in the class which I was eternally grateful for). Yet science teaching nationally can be varied at most which leave a lot of students underachieving. Though I see a lesser need to have done as well in the subject to take it - on the condition you work hard. However, I would suggest taking maths with physics to make your life easier.

From the research I have done talking to university representatives and looking at university websites, you need both maths and physics for mechanical engineering. If not your significantly behind on the maths, or significantly behind on the content. Mechanics is also in both maths and physics to different levels and prospectives so it is worth doing both especially if you want to go into mechanics.

Though if you wanted to go into the aesthetics of DT then physics wouldn't be needed. Yet maths would still be vital for the course.

My recommendation personally would be to speak to their DT teacher about the possible destinations of there past students, and the careers advisor ( if their school has one because I full well know my old school didn't until 9 months before I left.)

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply. This is so very helpful and reinforces much of the research I have been doing since my original post. I think we are leaning more towards engineering design and with a top DT mark plus a 7 in maths ( minimum) she can do English and drop physics going forward. She needs to pick her A level courses Monday but can pick 4 and decide to drop one as time gets closer so we are thinking math, DT, physics and English then we see how she does in the actual exams and make a final choice. But your perspective is so helpful. Thankyou ❤️❤️

IF she wants to keep both engineering & product design open then yes your right DT, Math, English wont enable engineering.

Why not do Math, Physics, DT... (& potentially chemistry/further math if you look at 4 subjects in year-12).

Its not really possible to do engineering without 2 of: math/physics/further maths.

its worth noting if you look at engineering, maths should probably be what she wants to do in a degree, engineering is essentially an applied mathematics degree and calculus will feature prominently in most modules.

Also i saw you've highlighted Imperial but at UG they dont offer product design they offer product design engineering, a subtlety but an important one imo, as design & engineering are fundamentally different subjects.
Reply 15
Original post by mnot
IF she wants to keep both engineering & product design open then yes your right DT, Math, English wont enable engineering.

Why not do Math, Physics, DT... (& potentially chemistry/further math if you look at 4 subjects in year-12).

Its not really possible to do engineering without 2 of: math/physics/further maths.

its worth noting if you look at engineering, maths should probably be what she wants to do in a degree, engineering is essentially an applied mathematics degree and calculus will feature prominently in most modules.

Also i saw you've highlighted Imperial but at UG they dont offer product design they offer product design engineering, a subtlety but an important one imo, as design & engineering are fundamentally different subjects.

Thank you very much for this information. It’s such a learning curve as we try to navigate new waters Just an fyi I highlighted imperial as I felt they were not the right fit as you have confirmed. ❤️
Hey! Sorry for the late reply, i study product design at university (third year now) am happy to answer any questions you may have :smile:

@MumMargie
Reply 17
Original post by CoolCavy
Hey! Sorry for the late reply, i study product design at university (third year now) am happy to answer any questions you may have :smile:

@MumMargie

You are a doll!! Thank you. Can I ask where you go and what a levels you did?

Quick Reply

Latest