The Student Room Group

Psychology - Biopsychology

Briefly outline the process of synaptic transmission. (2 marks)

Im a little confused on this question as I don't know what is too much or too little to write as its only 2 marks.

This is what I have so far - is this worth 2 marks though?
Synaptic transmission is the process in which a nerve impulse passes across the synaptic gap from the presynaptic neuron to the post-synaptic neuron.
Original post by anonymousayyyy

Im a little confused on this question as I don't know what is too much or too little to write as its only 2 marks.

Synaptic transmission is the process in which a nerve impulse passes across the synaptic gap from the presynaptic neuron to the post-synaptic neuron.

I would briefly put in about positive and negative voltage
Original post by Noodlzzz
I would briefly put in about positive and negative voltage

Thank you, howeverI don't think i've learnt about that.

Synaptic transmission is the process in which an action potential triggers the release of neurotransmitters across the synaptic gap from the pre-synaptic neuron to the post-synaptic neuron.

Remember the impulse isn't what crosses the gap, the impulse just sends the frequencies at which NTs are released at the end of the neuron. The NTs cross the gap and fill the receptors in the post-synaptic neuron, triggering another action potential and so on.

Hiya! I’d say you’re more describing what synaptic transmission is as opposed to the process, I’d suggest more detail about receptors and vesicles releasing neurotransmitters? E.g. Vesicles containing neurotransmitters in the presynaptic neurone fuse to the membrane and release their contents into the synaptic gap. This diffuses across the synaptic gap, binding to receptors in the postsynaptic neurone and stimulating a nerve impulse there.

I did Psychology A-Level and must admit after starting a biological course in University I can’t quite remember how scientific you have to be in your answer for Biopsych, so I’d verify with a mark scheme if you can find one!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by -Eirlys-
Synaptic transmission is the process in which an action potential triggers the release of neurotransmitters across the synaptic gap from the pre-synaptic neuron to the post-synaptic neuron.

Remember the impulse isn't what crosses the gap, the impulse just sends the frequencies at which NTs are released at the end of the neuron. The NTs cross the gap and fill the receptors in the post-synaptic neuron, triggering another action potential and so on.

Ahhh I see thank you so much!!
Original post by clueIxss
Hiya! I’d say you’re more describing what synaptic transmission is as opposed to the process, I’d suggest more detail about receptors and vesicles releasing neurotransmitters? E.g. Vesicles containing neurotransmitters in the presynaptic neurone fuse to the membrane and release their contents into the synaptic gap. This diffuses across the synaptic gap, binding to receptors in the postsynaptic neurone and stimulating a nerve impulse there.

I did Psychology A-Level and must admit after starting a biological course in University I can’t quite remember how scientific you have to be in your answer for Biopsych, so I’d verify with a mark scheme if you can find one!

This was still very helpful, thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending