The Student Room Group

Snakes at University??

So I’m headed off to university in September and I’m beginning to get stuff prepared for me leaving home.

One of my biggest worries at the moment is pets. I went through a phase when I was 13/14 of really loving reptiles and wanting them as pets. During this time I got two snakes, both fairly small, and have kept them since.

I’m not as into the whole reptile keeping hobby anymore, but I’m really bonded with my snakes and still find them interesting and fun animals to keep.

However now that I’m confirmed going off the uni, I’ve gotta make the decision of what I want to do with them. I suppose there are ways I could take them with me, but I’m still unsure if that would be the best thing for them or me.

Yes I love them, but I don’t want to have to keep them hidden away somewhere as it isn’t fair on them in my opinion. Also I worry having them with me would limit how much I could go out, by that I mean like trips/holidays.

I’ve considered leaving them with my parents, but that probably wouldn’t work out too well. My parents aren’t comfortable handling the snakes, and even though they’d make sure they were fed, my parents w super into the process of feeding them. Plus I don’t know any friends or family who could take my snakes in.

I guess I’m just trying to figure out what the best thing to do with them is, I’m not sure if I should bring them with me and try and sort something out?? Or give them to someone else, but then I’m not sure who I could give them to??

I really love these animals and want to see them have a good life.

Any advice is appreciated greatly!
Can I just firstly say you’re being really mature about this by wanting the best for the animals so that’s great to see :smile:

Unfortunately, university accommodation doesn’t allow any pets, to the extent that it’s often written in the tenancy agreement you sign. Some people may suggest you take them anyway and just hide them, but I don’t think that’s a good idea, as it’s just a nightmare in a practical sense! Potentially private landlords may allow it if you speak with them, but trying to rent privately in first year often isn’t popular and can be tricky because you’re not in the city to see the accommodation and speak with the landlord.

I think the best options either seem to be keeping them and ensuring your parents feed them, and then handling them and checking up on them whenever you visit home, or giving them to some sort of pet rescue centre where they may be adopted out elsewhere. I don’t know a ton about snakes so I’m not sure how frequent it is for pet places to take reptile but I’m sure some do.

Best of luck with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending