The Student Room Group

To finish with an IET-accredited degree or not?

TL;DR: do I just go on and finish with a degree without the IET accreditation or do I redo an assignment in the summer, waste up another year and people's (and mine) positive opinion of me and time and having to explain stuff many times just to maybe hopefully receive that one missing credit to get the accreditation and then continue on probably the same way but with more fancy title?

I've just got my results from one module's assignments and it's just slightly below 40%, which is crap.
I'm on a 4-year integrated Master's degree. IET rules are that during that last final year passable modules are from 50% and compensable modules to keep the accreditation are from 40%.
So here is my dilemma - I could redo the assignment and hopefully get a better grade, but it would be in the Summer. Or I could go on and graduate with a degree, just not a IET-accredited degree, because that result is still passable for the university. All my other modules are great scores so far, 70+, so as long as the final project goes well, I'd be cool.

Attempting at the assignment again in the Summer would mess up all my plans. It would mess up my family's plan, too, like, I was looking forward to my mum having a reason to feel proud and happy at me (after many sad years) and being at my graduation and finally flying a plane for the first time to visit me here for that reason and it being in the summer, so the weather being probably better than crappy UK's winter. My family and people around me could be like "Engineering? That's cool, nice~". My partner's family/friends could think I'm not too bad of a choice for a partner, a bit smart and organised.
But moving the graduation would get me back to looking very uncool and faily. And generally the following graduation would be in January, which is just a bummer and horribly cold. And I don't know if it would be possible to move it to next summer, but then I would be graduating with people that were initially on my year but went onto placement year and, hell no, I'd rather not be around for a few of those.
My job applications would also have to move quite a bit forward, and then all the explaining to the possible employers that would need to be done about the graduating happening late.

On the other hand, I could just go on and graduate with the ordinary degree that is not IET-accredited. I know the accreditation can add some to the salary. But so far none of the job applications asked about the IET accreditation. If checked for university, the curse does have IET accreditation. I'm also not hoping for a huge career, huge positions and wildly oversuccessful life - I'm a mature student, I want a nice and stable life with good, comfortable income while doing a job I find interesting and sometimes challenging.
Is there anything else the accreditation does that leads to higher salary at some point later on?

Oh dear.
Reply 1
If you have already started a degree, there needs to be very compelling reasons to not finish it. You should definitely make sure it is accredited as there are some companies which will look for this.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Do you have a query? im not to sure what your looking for people here to respond with...

I was trying to answer the question asked by the OP in the title as well as specifically this part:
On the other hand, I could just go on and graduate with the ordinary degree that is not IET-accredited.

They asked whether to finish with accreditation. My response was that " You should definitely make sure it is accredited". In other words, finish the degree with the accreditation unless you otherwise have some compelling reason. This is from my experience of applying for jobs in engineering, quite a few do actually ask for accreditation and occassionally some evidence of professional membership.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 0le
I was trying to answer the question asked by the OP in the title as well as specifically this part:

They asked whether to finish with accreditation. My response was that " You should definitely make sure it is accredited". N

Sorry I can see that now, the page glitched when i first opened this thread and i thought yours was the first post... (im going to delete my comment now)
What actually happened was the OP's post was, for some reason, disapproved after 0le replied to it, making it look like 0le was the OP. I approved the OP now.
Reply 5
You should probably look into that depending on what you want to do career wise and forget about it getting in the way of one part of your summer. In my experience I think some bigger companies will care more about IET accredited degrees but smaller ones will not even care which grade you got or which uni you went to. Also I doubt it's going to affect your salary, most of the companies I went to interviews for with a 2.1 accredited MEng degree laughed at the idea of paying me much more than minimum wage

Quick Reply

Latest