The Student Room Group

Which year of med school is hardest?

Currently a first year medic at KCL feeling very overwhelmed and swamped by content....is it really going to get worse?!
Original post by Anonymous
Currently a first year medic at KCL feeling very overwhelmed and swamped by content....is it really going to get worse?!

I found it got much better in fact. Final year was my favourite year by far.
Reply 2

I found first year of medical school the hardest; it got easier with every year and my final year was my favourite as well.
I felt exactly the same way as you did; overwhelmed by the content, unsure if I could learn enough to pass the exams & not finding the content very interesting. Quite a few of my friends felt the same - it does get easier and things become easier to learn and remember when you see them in practice.
Agreed, I found 1st year was the hardest. An overwhelming amount of boring stuff to memorise, I remember being crazily stressed about it around exam time. Second year was not dissimilar, except first year had prepared me for what to expect haha.

My personal favourite year (as everybody is mentioning it) would be a tie between the year I intercalated and first year of clinics. Final year is just the easiest, so you've got that one to look forward to at the end.

Remember - people have got through it before you, and believe it or not you'll somehow find a way to stuff all those things into your brain if you just dedicate yourself to it!
Also found first year the hardest - just not used to it yet.

In theory second year was a lot more intense for us - same content (if not more) but squeezed into two thirds the time - but I don't recall it feeling that way.

I’m second year at KCL. First year is just different to rest of years. Do your best and don’t worry. Second year onwards is hard don’t get me wrong but it’s more enjoyable. You’ll see when you get there
👍👍👍
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for your replies. It’s good to know that hopefully things will be more enjoyable as time goes on. Feel as though I’ve lost my mojo and struggling to motivate myself wading through all this content. It’s hard to judge exactly what I need to know and what I don’t to get through exams 😩
Thanks for all the wise words
Thanks for your replies. It’s good to know that hopefully things will be more enjoyable as time goes on. Feel as though I’ve lost my mojo and struggling to motivate myself wading through all this content. It’s hard to judge exactly what I need to know and what I don’t to get through exams 😩
Thanks for all the wise words

Times may have changed and this may be medical school dependent... but my personal turning point in first year was the discovery of past papers from previous years. Not sure if those are floating around where you are, but if so, they may be useful for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending