The Student Room Group

Hiring a car at 18

Does anybody know if it is at all possible to hire a car at 18 in Scotland?
For a bit of context, I want to travel some of Scotland camping and walking but it is too far for my old car to make it up there and, to have at least some comfort while camping, I will need too much gear to be travelling by coach. I have found car hires for my age abroad before but having scoured the internet there doesn't seem to be one company that will hire under 21 in Scotland.
As a side question, if this really isn't possible then can anyone else recommend ways of getting around Scotland for this trip?
Original post by Stickface1
Does anybody know if it is at all possible to hire a car at 18 in Scotland?
For a bit of context, I want to travel some of Scotland camping and walking but it is too far for my old car to make it up there and, to have at least some comfort while camping, I will need too much gear to be travelling by coach. I have found car hires for my age abroad before but having scoured the internet there doesn't seem to be one company that will hire under 21 in Scotland.
As a side question, if this really isn't possible then can anyone else recommend ways of getting around Scotland for this trip?

Although there is no law preventing 18 year olds hiring, no insurance company will underwrite the risk without unfeasible premiums. Hence hire companies always stipulate a minimum age because it's simply not worth the effort or risk to their profits.

No way around it other than go with someone old enough to hire, go with an organised group or take less kit and hike.

Quick Reply

Latest