The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from a 7 to 9 in two months in GCSE Maths?

Right, so I received my mock grade for maths today, and I achieved a 7. If I had to be honest, I am alright with my mock grade, but it's better than what I got last time which was a 6. Since, we have like two months till GCSEs, do you still think I have time to improve from a 7 to 9?
Original post by ᴅ ᴀ ɴ ɪ ᴇ ʟ
Right, so I received my mock grade for maths today, and I achieved a 7. If I had to be honest, I am alright with my mock grade, but it's better than what I got last time which was a 6. Since, we have like two months till GCSEs, do you still think I have time to improve from a 7 to 9?

Ofc you do! I wrote my GCSEs in 2018 I failed my math mock exams. In the actual exam I got a 9
What about me? I’m aiming for an 8 and on a 5
Reply 3

Definitely, it's very common to improve by 1 or 2 grades as you increase your revision. Was the mock a real past paper that used real grade boundaries?
Reply 4

If you want a 9 then I recommend trying as many (new spec) papers as you can get your hands on. If you need recommendations for where to get papers let me know.
I've always just wanted a 4 in GCSE Maths. I never got it.
After 3 attempts.
Reply 6
Sure it is. However, speaking from experience (Year 13 A-level student) is there any reason for you to get a grade 9? While it is always nice to get that higher grade, a grade 7 is still a very good grade for maths? Perhaps it would be better to spend time on other subjects that maybe you aren’t doing as well in? I don’t know your particular skill sets and maybe you’re doing well in everything but it is certainly something to think about.
I don't know what the big deal about 9s are. 7 is still an A and an excellent pass.

But to answer your question, in theory you could.
Reply 8
Original post by Cryoraptor
I don't know what the big deal about 9s are. 7 is still an A and an excellent pass.

Of course a 7 is an excellent grade (relative to the average student) but I think it's good for students to strive for the best grade they can get, especially if they are aiming to go to a top uni.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Of course a 7 is an excellent grade (relative to the average student) but I think it's good for students to strive for the best grade they can get, especially if they are aiming to go to a top uni.

Of course, but students shouldn't stress themselves over not getting a 9. A 7 is still highly acceptable for most if not all unis.
It’s definitely possible. I went up around 2 grades from my mocks to actual GCSE results. I went from mock grade 8 in maths to 9 in the real thing. I wish you all the best! Xx
Original post by blueberrybowl
It’s definitely possible. I went up around 2 grades from my mocks to actual GCSE results. I went from mock grade 8 in maths to 9 in the real thing. I wish you all the best! Xx

How did you revise?
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
How did you revise?

I used a website my school has a membership to called mathswatch. My school regularly used past papers to test us which really helped. Also, in the real exams, math watch release a spreadsheet with all the topics they estimate will come up within the next exam papers which really helped. I watched all the videos the night before the exams and their interactive questions really helped. Hope that helps
Of course, but students shouldn't stress themselves over not getting a 9. A 7 is still highly acceptable for most if not all unis.

Would agree when it comes to getting a 9. The difference between a student with an 8 and one with a 9 can be trivial. (a student solidly working at a 9 might just have a bad day) But a 7 may not be acceptable by schools in some cases, some require an 8 for further maths A-level.
Reply 14

It depends on the student. If e.g. they want to do a maths degree in the future then they should be putting in the work (up to a point of course) to get the best grade that they can get.

Yes the piece of paper with the grade on won't be important past A Levels but getting the best grade you can at GCSE is so important because it gives students good foundations that they can build on. I strongly disagree with the attitude that I see on TSR a lot which is, "GCSEs don't matter in the future so there's no need to try too hard". Improving from a 7 to a 9 is't just about the grade, it shows improvement in maths that could be very important in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest