The Student Room Group

How to study for math GCSE

Hello, I’m currently resitting gcse math (I got a 4 originally but need to resit and get a 6-7 for uni) I did foundation math and that was like almost 2 years ago so I’m pretty rusty, I have 6 months until my exams, any tips?
Reply 1
I got an 8 in maths, and it is just non-stop practice. It helps to watch videos on youtube on topics that you are weak on, then to practice exam style questions on maths genie (that website has good videos too). If you make a mistake identify and understand it rather than just correcting it and moving on i.e. maybe you didn’t use the correct equation properly.

Afterwards definitely practice as many past papers as possible, ideally in timed conditions too get a feel of what higher GCSE is like and what you are working at. Bare in mind about 50% will get you a 6 and 60% a 7, so work towards that goal. The more practice you do, the more efficient you’ll be in maths.
Reply 2
Original post by 21Vee
I got an 8 in maths, and it is just non-stop practice. It helps to watch videos on youtube on topics that you are weak on, then to practice exam style questions on maths genie (that website has good videos too). If you make a mistake identify and understand it rather than just correcting it and moving on i.e. maybe you didn’t use the correct equation properly.

Afterwards definitely practice as many past papers as possible, ideally in timed conditions too get a feel of what higher GCSE is like and what you are working at. Bare in mind about 50% will get you a 6 and 60% a 7, so work towards that goal. The more practice you do, the more efficient you’ll be in maths.

I second this - PAST PAPERS are your life from now on unfortunately! I got a 9 in GCSE maths as someone who is not naturally amazing at maths - I did this through making sure I absolutely nailed the basics, covered the whole specification (go through the specification and make sure to revise every single spec point) and tried to do as many past papers as I could. I loved watching the GCSE Maths Tutor YouTube channel as it provided me with a different explanation for topics I couldn’t grasp as easily. Hope this helps, good luck with your GCSES 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest