The Student Room Group

Refund for student accomodation

I wanna go back my home country and wanna end my accommodation contract earlier because of coronavirus. The aberdeen uni doesn't give me a refund. Do you know if I don't pay the rent anymore, what consequences I will get?
Hi

Stay Safe. Don't worry about that. Travelling at this time will be risky. So don't travel anywhere. stay in your rooms.

Thanks
Original post by Tinkatinka
I wanna go back my home country and wanna end my accommodation contract earlier because of coronavirus. The aberdeen uni doesn't give me a refund. Do you know if I don't pay the rent anymore, what consequences I will get?

If you don't pay, they will get you or your guarantor to pay through the courts. No one (as far as I know) have been successful at getting a refund due to coronavirus, as they are still keeping accommodation open in most cases.
Reply 3
Take it up with the union, my uni, Strathclyde have refunded all who leave early due to our union. But I wouldn't just not pay, as you haven't agreed that with the uni.
They should refund since its a legal shutdown of the country.

I am getting a refund from Unite students.
Reply 5
That’s interesting are you automatically a member of this union? I’m trying not to pay the last instalment of my accommodation in private halls. Would this be covered?thanks
Original post by Spod50
That’s interesting are you automatically a member of this union? I’m trying not to pay the last instalment of my accommodation in private halls. Would this be covered?thanks

You would be an automatic member of your university's student union. How far they can help you re: an accommodation refund will depend on whether they have any sway with the business that runs your halls.
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You would be an automatic member of your university's student union. How far they can help you re: an accommodation refund will depend on whether they have any sway with the business that runs your halls.

Thank you I’ll check.
Original post by Spod50

If you're in private halls it is harder for your union to pressure them to waive your rent. There are a group of students at Warwick University who are trying to pressure all private accommodation providers to waive rent.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you don't pay, they will get you or your guarantor to pay through the courts. No one (as far as I know) have been successful at getting a refund due to coronavirus, as they are still keeping accommodation open in most cases.

Read contracts well! There are break clause and the clause in which it says that in the case of fire,floods and any other risk( in this case covid 19) the rent is not payable. The fact they are open is the decision of their own risk. Furthermore,there is the British common law doctrine of frustration that baks students and rent waive. Student halls must stick to what they also signed. Do not be fooled. Just do not pay. The more of us the better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending