The Student Room Group

to all folks who were retaking a-levels this year

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys thought i'd share - free online Biology and Chemistry classes if you're interested

https://forms.gle/jVjt6PGQRaBRon418
Original post by what2do
Im assuming yes because queen mary are doing that as well

Have they given you (or anyone you know) the place?
What are a level results going to look like this year anyways . If we looking at the whole cohort ? Is it going to be similar to last year Yall reckon?
Original post by phantom973
Have they given you (or anyone you know) the place?

Yes I was given a place
Original post by what2do
Yes I was given a place

Congratulations! I'm really hoping UOB can give me one as well

Thanks!😊 I hope you do too!!
Hi, Sheffield University, Which is my back up, changed my offer from an A in maths to a B. Just notifying you guys so that you can check yours.

Have you spoken to them lately? They told me that they'll be reviewing my application but I'm not sure how long that will take. The quicker they do so, the quicker my anxiety can go away.
Original post by what2do
Im assuming yes because queen mary are doing that as well

I spoke to QMUL a few weeks ago and they said they won't be reviewing pc applications. Since when did they change their mind? Also congrats!
Original post by m.ojeeb
Have you spoken to them lately? They told me that they'll be reviewing my application but I'm not sure how long that will take. The quicker they do so, the quicker my anxiety can go away.

I've been emailing the department I'm applying to (school of chemistry) for the past couple of months and haven't had a reply, which sucks. Yesterday I emailed the general admissions telling them about my situation so I'm hoping to hear a response back soon
I've been emailing the department I'm applying to (school of chemistry) for the past couple of months and haven't had a reply, which sucks. Yesterday I emailed the general admissions telling them about my situation so I'm hoping to hear a response back soon

Ah, in that case, good luck. They reached out to me a week ago after I explained my situation to them. I haven't heard from them since, so I'm looking to contact that them again in order to find out how long it would take to review a pc's application.
Original post by m.ojeeb
I spoke to QMUL a few weeks ago and they said they won't be reviewing pc applications. Since when did they change their mind? Also congrats!

Not long ago I emailed them a week ago and they are reviewing applications, check their website for their new policies. What department are you applying to?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by what2do
Not long ago I emailed them a week ago and they are reviewing applications, check their website for their new policies. What department are you applying to?

I'm applying to study Biology, so that should be the Biological and Biomedical Sciences department. Did you contact the general admissions email, or the department itself?
Original post by m.ojeeb
I'm applying to study Biology, so that should be the Biological and Biomedical Sciences department. Did you contact the general admissions email, or the department itself?

I emailed both but my department go back to me
Hi, has anyone read the whole proposal by Ofqual regarding the Exams in 2021?
I am kind of mad about the way they talked about private candidates:
"All students who were preparing to take GCSEs, AS and A levels next year will have
been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Most will have been directly
affected by the closure of schools and colleges. Students who were studying
independently, for example because they are home educated, might have been less
directly affected by these closures, but they will, nevertheless, have been affected by
changes to routine aspects of their lives"

Right, having the exam cancelled and being completely ignored by Ofqual since the day schools closed and exams were cancelled, not getting any grades and having to wait another year for my A Levels is just a "change to routine aspect" to my live. I cannot believe that they wrote this. After all us private candidates have been through. I signed up just to post about this.
OFQUAL have to have something personal with private candidates, the number of times we've been insulted in their so-called consultations. If only they'd dedicated the same amount of effort towards actually doing their jobs instead of writing articulate jabs aimed at 18, 19 year olds.
Original post by m.ojeeb
Ah, in that case, good luck. They reached out to me a week ago after I explained my situation to them. I haven't heard from them since, so I'm looking to contact that them again in order to find out how long it would take to review a pc's application.

They've just got back to me and this is what they said:

"Thank you for your email and for your letter.

We are now able to offer some flexibility when it comes to external exam centres not providing grades this Summer.

A colleague from our Admissions Team will be in touch soon to discuss this further with you.

Many thanks"

Really hoping for the best now
They've just got back to me and this is what they said:

"Thank you for your email and for your letter.

We are now able to offer some flexibility when it comes to external exam centres not providing grades this Summer.

A colleague from our Admissions Team will be in touch soon to discuss this further with you.

Many thanks"

Really hoping for the best now

I wrote to uob about me situation on Tuesday, hopefully I hear back soon! Looks like I’ll get a reply next week.
Original post by oithatsmyboat
Hi, Sheffield University, Which is my back up, changed my offer from an A in maths to a B. Just notifying you guys so that you can check yours.

Same, I’m in one of those freshers WhatsApp group chats and quite a lot of people have had reduced offers.
Im trying to find out if they’d still allow 1 or 2 missed grades like univeristies usually do come August
Does anyone have the email for Loughborough university and guys we should start a petition asking for information of the number of initially submitted private candidates who will be getting calculated grades

Quick Reply

Latest