The Student Room Group

Year 12 resitting a GCSE. What do I do?

Hi - I’m in Year 12 (Sixth Form) and resitting my English Language GCSE independently. My Sixth Form aren’t aware and now that all formal exams are cancelled for this year I’m not too sure what to do!
Original post by sm0009
Hi - I’m in Year 12 (Sixth Form) and resitting my English Language GCSE independently. My Sixth Form aren’t aware and now that all formal exams are cancelled for this year I’m not too sure what to do!

Have you contacted your exam centre? They may know what is happening for external candidates. If they do not know you could try emailing you MP as they may not be aware of the problem for external/private candidates.

@SarcAndSpark may have more/better advice.
Original post by _Mia101
Have you contacted your exam centre? They may know what is happening for external candidates. If they do not know you could try emailing you MP as they may not be aware of the problem for external/private candidates.

what? Lol my school has no idea what to do -_-
Original post by sm0009

Where are you sitting the exam? They are the first people you need to contact. They may be able to give you a teacher assessed grade.

If the exam center can't help you, the next place to try and contact your exam board (AQA/Edexcel/OCR or whoever) and ask their advice.

I'm guessing if you are in Y12, if the worst comes to, you could retake next year? I know that's not ideal, though.
Original post by _Mia101

Thank you for the tag!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Thank you for the tag!

Thank you for the tag!

Hi! Thanks for the help!

I called the Private Centre and they said they’ve got no information currently, and to check with the exam board. I don’t have any teacher/ tutor - It’s just me and past papers!

I’ve also contacted the exam board (Edexcel) and they’ve said they have no further information at this time but when they do it’ll be on the .gov website.

Yeah - I guess I could retake next year - but it’s just a bit inconvenient, hence why I took it this year :/

Thanks so much for the help though, I really appreciate it
Original post by sm0009
Hi! Thanks for the help!

I called the Private Centre and they said they’ve got no information currently, and to check with the exam board. I don’t have any teacher/ tutor - It’s just me and past papers!

I’ve also contacted the exam board (Edexcel) and they’ve said they have no further information at this time but when they do it’ll be on the .gov website.

Yeah - I guess I could retake next year - but it’s just a bit inconvenient, hence why I took it this year :/

No worries- I hope we get clarity for all private candidates soon!
No worries- I hope we get clarity for all private candidates soon!

Do you have an idea with medical schools? I'm retaking English language, to get a 7/8. If so thank you!
Reply 7
There will be exams held early in the 2020 academic year - likely around September.
Original post by lyfe
There will be exams held early in the 2020 academic year - likely around September.

yay!¬-¬
Original post by endergirl123
Do you have an idea with medical schools? I'm retaking English language, to get a 7/8. If so thank you!

Any idea in terms of what?
Original post by lyfe

In theory, from what the government has said so far, private candidates should still be given a grade in July, though.
Any idea in terms of what?

In theory, from what the government has said so far, private candidates should still be given a grade in July, though.

sorry I meant to say, do you think medical schools, wont do the 'retake to get a 6' for entry?
Original post by endergirl123
sorry I meant to say, do you think medical schools, wont do the 'retake to get a 6' for entry?

I've honestly got no idea.

It is possible to apply to uni with a GCSE grade pending, and get an offer that's conditional on a GCSE grade as well- but I don't know if this is something med schools would be likely to do next year.
Reply 12
Original post by sm0009
Hi! Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I am in the same boat as you but i am a mature student and my uni PGCE offer is conditional to sit GCSE or equivalent maths,english and science.I work full-time and was preparing myself without any tutor or coursework.I called the center where I was intending to sit my exams and they said that they will be receiving further information today regarding private candidates like us but they added that it might be that the center will give us some intensive course work,essays,online assessments to do and will ask us to provide some further evidence (if we have) to support it.They will be calling me today with further updates.
Original post by mafali
Hi,

I am in the same boat as you but i am a mature student and my uni PGCE offer is conditional to sit GCSE or equivalent maths,english and science.I work full-time and was preparing myself without any tutor or coursework.I called the center where I was intending to sit my exams and they said that they will be receiving further information today regarding private candidates like us but they added that it might be that the center will give us some intensive course work,essays,online assessments to do and will ask us to provide some further evidence (if we have) to support it.They will be calling me today with further updates.

Awesome! Thanks so much. Will you let me know when those updates come through - Id really appreciate it. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest