The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Chemical Engineering

Basically it would be great to hear any opinions on which universities are the best for chemical engineering (particularly beyond Oxbridge and Imperial).
Hi there! My name is Leah and I am a 3rd year MEng Chemical Engineering student at the University of Bath.

Bath was ranked 4th for chemical engineering in the Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2020 and 1st for Student Satisfaction in the Guardian University Guide 2020. However, it is important to know that rankings are not everything and it is very much down to personal choice.

Hopefully I will be able to give you an insight into what it is like to study chemical engineering at Bath and why I personally chose it - hopefully this will help inform your decision.

I chose Bath for a number of reasons. Admitedly the rankings had a large influence on my choices - I wanted to choose a University that was highly regarded for chemical engineering and would give me the best graduate prospects.

The placement scheme at Bath was a big positive for me. Bath has a high success rate with students obtaining placement which is mostly down to the excellent placement team. The placement team offer support with finding and applying for placements. The team source placements and hold them on a central database - some of which are only open to Bath students! There are excellent application and interview preparation opportunities that are invaluable in allowing students at Bath to obtain placements. Whilst not compulsory, the placement year is an exceptional opportunity to gain industrial experience and is very useful for obtaining graduate jobs.

Another reason I selected Bath was the size of the department and of the University. Being smaller than some other Universities, Bath has a nice community feel both on campus and within the department. By getting involved within the Students' Union and the department, I really feel like I am part of chemical engineering at Bath. I have been actively involved in department development and student engagement.

Between Universities, there is not huge variation in the courses due to needing to be accredited but it is important to have a close look at the modules to see if they align with your interests. I personally found the environmental and biology modules at Bath particularly interesting and was on of the reasons that Bath stood out to me. I would suggest looking at the research areas of each University to see if it stands out to you - it is not necessarily indicative of teaching but does often feed into it.

If you do have any questions about Bath do let me know! I would strongly recommend going and having a look at the University if you can to get a feel for what it is like - this is the best way to decide if a University is for you. Good luck!

Leah
3rd Year Chemical Engineering
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there! My name is Leah and I am a 3rd year MEng Chemical Engineering student at the University of Bath.

Bath was ranked 4th for chemical engineering in the Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2020 and 1st for Student Satisfaction in the Guardian University Guide 2020. However, it is important to know that rankings are not everything and it is very much down to personal choice.

Hopefully I will be able to give you an insight into what it is like to study chemical engineering at Bath and why I personally chose it - hopefully this will help inform your decision.

I chose Bath for a number of reasons. Admitedly the rankings had a large influence on my choices - I wanted to choose a University that was highly regarded for chemical engineering and would give me the best graduate prospects.

The placement scheme at Bath was a big positive for me. Bath has a high success rate with students obtaining placement which is mostly down to the excellent placement team. The placement team offer support with finding and applying for placements. The team source placements and hold them on a central database - some of which are only open to Bath students! There are excellent application and interview preparation opportunities that are invaluable in allowing students at Bath to obtain placements. Whilst not compulsory, the placement year is an exceptional opportunity to gain industrial experience and is very useful for obtaining graduate jobs.

Another reason I selected Bath was the size of the department and of the University. Being smaller than some other Universities, Bath has a nice community feel both on campus and within the department. By getting involved within the Students' Union and the department, I really feel like I am part of chemical engineering at Bath. I have been actively involved in department development and student engagement.

Between Universities, there is not huge variation in the courses due to needing to be accredited but it is important to have a close look at the modules to see if they align with your interests. I personally found the environmental and biology modules at Bath particularly interesting and was on of the reasons that Bath stood out to me. I would suggest looking at the research areas of each University to see if it stands out to you - it is not necessarily indicative of teaching but does often feed into it.

If you do have any questions about Bath do let me know! I would strongly recommend going and having a look at the University if you can to get a feel for what it is like - this is the best way to decide if a University is for you. Good luck!

Leah

Hi Leah, thank you so much for the response! I've visited Bath on a general open day and it does seem like a great place to study.
I was wondering how much maths you need to know when entering, and what the maths content is in the first year. I'm not doing Further Maths so a slight worry would be that I may not be at the same level as other entrants. Which Further Maths (or other maths topics) do you think it is worth learning so that I can enter on the same level as the others? Thanks again for your reply.
Original post by qwertyuiosd
Hi Leah, thank you so much for the response! I've visited Bath on a general open day and it does seem like a great place to study.
I was wondering how much maths you need to know when entering, and what the maths content is in the first year. I'm not doing Further Maths so a slight worry would be that I may not be at the same level as other entrants. Which Further Maths (or other maths topics) do you think it is worth learning so that I can enter on the same level as the others? Thanks again for your reply.

Hi there - no problem at all!

Do not worry too much about the maths! I did study further maths but a lot of my friends on the course did not. Everything is taught with the assumption that no one has any knowledge of further maths, and some of the A-level maths is also recapped to ensure everyone is on the same page. If you have done sufficient mechanics in maths or physics, that will definitely help as these skills are used widely across different modules of the course.

In terms of pure maths, you do not necessarily need to learn anything before you get to University as it will all be taught don't worry (enjoy the time off!). However, if you do want to get ahead, I would recommend having a look at basic matrix operations and differential equations. Differential equations are a key part of solving engineering problems and we are taught to do them both analytically and numerically using coding.

Again, everything will be taught from scratch and a lot of people will not have taken further maths modules so don't worry :smile: if you have any more questions don't hesitate to let me know!

Leah
Thank you very much for your attention, Leah. It is really helpful to hear directly from an undergrad student. Take care, all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest