The Student Room Group

Need Help With English Literature

Hi,

I am currently in Year 12 studying English Literature. Lately I have been struggling a lot. At the start of the year in my English essays I managed to scrape B's but recently I have been getting low C's. In my first mock I scraped a C-.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to structure my essays better to get higher marks and if anybody would be able to send me model answers of their work.

I study the AQA Exam board and the texts that I am studying are:

Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Othello
Anthology: Love poetry through the ages pre-1900

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Ooo ok so l’m doing othello as well and don’t worry l completely understand the struggles! In fact even now l’m still getting the occasional C if l don’t put in the effort 😔. But l have a few essays l’ve written which l can send that got As and l have model essays from someone who got A*. I don’t know about the love anthology essays cause those can be pretty subjective to each person but l have a power point which has like a structure and model exemplar paragraphs which l am working on at the moment for revision which l can also send! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by theprettyrainbow
Ooo ok so l’m doing othello as well and don’t worry l completely understand the struggles! In fact even now l’m still getting the occasional C if l don’t put in the effort 😔. But l have a few essays l’ve written which l can send that got As and l have model essays from someone who got A*. I don’t know about the love anthology essays cause those can be pretty subjective to each person but l have a power point which has like a structure and model exemplar paragraphs which l am working on at the moment for revision which l can also send! :smile:

Thank you sooo much. I've been really stressed. I really appreciate it.
Reply 3
Original post by fa123456789
Hi,

I am currently in Year 12 studying English Literature. Lately I have been struggling a lot. At the start of the year in my English essays I managed to scrape B's but recently I have been getting low C's. In my first mock I scraped a C-.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to structure my essays better to get higher marks and if anybody would be able to send me model answers of their work.

Othello

Thanks.

Hey! I did Eng Lit at A Level too and I completely get you as its one hell of a difficult subject! Don’t worry if you find it hard as you’re in year 12.. you’ll have time to get to grips with it and refine your style of writing and gradually you’ll begin to get the hang of the sort of questions A Level exams like to ask.. What helps with this is past papers.. slowly start to do them now (on the content you have covered so far of course) to incorporate them into your revision technique..

As for structuring your answers, what I used to do was begin a new paragraph on every new concept I spoke about, ie every time you address the question with a different point.. I did this for my coursework and got an A*. It’s all about finding out what works best for the way you write your essays I suppose..

I don’t have any of my work as I did my a levels a couple of years ago now.. (gap year works wonders btw)
Don’t worry if your stressed.. A levels are hard, and getting through them shows strength.

:smile:
here is the othello powerpoint :smile:! I'm still adding a few bits but this structure is pretty good to start with
Reply 5
here is the othello powerpoint :smile:! I'm still adding a few bits but this structure is pretty good to start with

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 12KK
Hey! I did Eng Lit at A Level too and I completely get you as its one hell of a difficult subject! Don’t worry if you find it hard as you’re in year 12.. you’ll have time to get to grips with it and refine your style of writing and gradually you’ll begin to get the hang of the sort of questions A Level exams like to ask.. What helps with this is past papers.. slowly start to do them now (on the content you have covered so far of course) to incorporate them into your revision technique..

As for structuring your answers, what I used to do was begin a new paragraph on every new concept I spoke about, ie every time you address the question with a different point.. I did this for my coursework and got an A*. It’s all about finding out what works best for the way you write your essays I suppose..

I don’t have any of my work as I did my a levels a couple of years ago now.. (gap year works wonders btw)
Don’t worry if your stressed.. A levels are hard, and getting through them shows strength.

:smile:

Thanks for the advice.
I know I'm trying to stay positive.
I've been trying out different essay structures but I still haven't been able to find the right one for me.
Original post by fa123456789
Hi,

Othello

Thanks.

Hi, I have completed the English Lit A Level course and got band 5s on my Othello essays. If you require help for Othello - including tuition just drop a private messages : )

please could you send them to me too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending