The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot...could i do it

Hello!

I've recently rekindled my desire to join the RAF as a pilot....ultimately fast jet or some type of plane. However there a few points I've been wanting to ask people about regarding my self chances of selection etc.

1. I do not hold any A levels however I do have a Level 3 BTEC diploma which is worth 84 UCAS points more than the required amount stated on the pilot section (64). Is this likely to be accepted?

2. My appearance....I'm 23yr old with pretty well kept curly hair that I have in a sort of old skool Jeremy Clarkson style. I also have a well kept short beard. I was wondering if this would affect my chances in the interview and selection processes. I'm totally aware that all this would have to go if I was successful I just wouldn't want to commit to shaving my massive bonce if it was going to get bounced back before actually starting training.

3. I wear glasses and contact lenses. I know my prescription and i don't think my vision is terrible when I wear my glasses.

These are my current woes currently stopping me from slamming that submit button and i would really like to itch this scratch I've had for many years to fly and make my family proud. (p.s yes i have looked into commercial pilots but that stuff is way to expensive).

Thanks for all the help
I think you would have to get in touch about the glasses situation. Because it’s a pilot they might not be as flexible as other positions
Reply 2
Original post by ciarian
Hello!

I've recently rekindled my desire to join the RAF as a pilot....ultimately fast jet or some type of plane. However there a few points I've been wanting to ask people about regarding my self chances of selection etc.

1. I do not hold any A levels however I do have a Level 3 BTEC diploma which is worth 84 UCAS points more than the required amount stated on the pilot section (64). Is this likely to be accepted?

2. My appearance....I'm 23yr old with pretty well kept curly hair that I have in a sort of old skool Jeremy Clarkson style. I also have a well kept short beard. I was wondering if this would affect my chances in the interview and selection processes. I'm totally aware that all this would have to go if I was successful I just wouldn't want to commit to shaving my massive bonce if it was going to get bounced back before actually starting training.

3. I wear glasses and contact lenses. I know my prescription and i don't think my vision is terrible when I wear my glasses.

These are my current woes currently stopping me from slamming that submit button and i would really like to itch this scratch I've had for many years to fly and make my family proud. (p.s yes i have looked into commercial pilots but that stuff is way to expensive).

Thanks for all the help

The hair and beard isn't a big deal.
The education sounds like you might be ok, but the minimum requirements are for 2 A levels or equivalents. You might be asked why you don't have A levels, but that's not a big deal.

The eyesight is, though... potentially.
Nobody on here is medically qualified and will not give you a direct answer either way on this because we can't see your details and don't have the medical knowledge to say whether or not you'd pass selection, but from my experience, those with glasses almost certainly won't get in.

Don't take that as gospel and you should definitely still try, but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath.

The other thing you need to be aware of is if you're applying for a role as an RAF officer, you need to be able to demonstrate your leadership potential. You need to be able to talk about what you've done that suggests you have the ability to be developed into a strong leader. That's up to you to discuss in interviews, so you don't need to explain it here, but it makes up a significant part of the application process.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
The hair and beard isn't a big deal.
The education sounds like you might be ok, but the minimum requirements are for 2 A levels or equivalents. You might be asked why you don't have A levels, but that's not a big deal.

The eyesight is, though... potentially.
Nobody on here is medically qualified and will not give you a direct answer either way on this because we can't see your details and don't have the medical knowledge to say whether or not you'd pass selection, but from my experience, those with glasses almost certainly won't get in.

Don't take that as gospel and you should definitely still try, but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath.

The other thing you need to be aware of is if you're applying for a role as an RAF officer, you need to be able to demonstrate your leadership potential. You need to be able to talk about what you've done that suggests you have the ability to be developed into a strong leader. That's up to you to discuss in interviews, so you don't need to explain it here, but it makes up a significant part of the application process.

ive seen a few charts dotted about on the internet in regards to eyesight but im unsure of how legit they are
1) There's a quals equivalency sheet on the RAF Careers website
2) Unless you're a Helo pilot you'll have to shave the beard to fly
3) Eyesight will probably sink you but just hit apply anyway. What have you got to lose?
What’s your prescription?
Really is no harm in applying. You can either apply, and POTENTIALLY be turned away because of the eyesight at medical, or you can go on wondering and not knowing.

That, in my opinion, would eat away at your. Also, as you get along the application process, you'll become more aware of other roles should you not be successful.

My opinion would be just give it a go. Give it your best, and what will be will be. Also, I unfortunately have had to lose the beard! Devastating but thems the rules! Turn up to any AFCO meeting smart, but don't worry about the beard if it's maintained.
Hi

Your beard and hair aren't going to affect you during the application process, as long as they're neat and you make the right impression etc.

You can check whether your qualification is acceptable by using the link on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website to see if it is acceptable in lieu of A levels, it's in the Education Requirements section. As a potential Officer I'll let you find it... ;-)

Your eyesight is the part that could be an issue, but it will be looked at during your medical, that's why it's part of the process. As long as your BTEC covers you for the education requirements you can submit an application.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Quick Reply

Latest