The Student Room Group

should you tell someone you're going to unfriend them before you do it?

i'm just wondering if i should send the person i'm planning on unfriending a message before i do it. i'm doing it because they've treated me quite badly in the last few days but they were a close friend before, and i'm also doing it because i want to get over them.

should i send a message explaining that i'm not unfriending them out of spite or anything, just to help myself heal, or should i just do it without telling them? they've shown me in the last few days that they don't care about me half as i care about them and they've had a really negative influence on my life recently
Reply 1
Why would you put the time and effort to explain to a toxic person that your unfriending them??? Doesn’t make sense
That would be the decent and respectful thing to do, although in this day and age decency and respect is in short supply.
Reply 3
Original post by hunchoM
Why would you put the time and effort to explain to a toxic person that your unfriending them??? Doesn’t make sense

that's what i was thinking. i just feel bad because we were so close before.
Reply 4
Original post by Karisa96
That would be the decent and respectful thing to do, although in this day and age decency and respect is in short supply.

true, i would feel a little guilty doing it with no explanation
Original post by Anonymous
i'm just wondering if i should send the person i'm planning on unfriending a message before i do it. i'm doing it because they've treated me quite badly in the last few days but they were a close friend before, and i'm also doing it because i want to get over them.

should i send a message explaining that i'm not unfriending them out of spite or anything, just to help myself heal, or should i just do it without telling them? they've shown me in the last few days that they don't care about me half as i care about them and they've had a really negative influence on my life recently

Hmm sounds a little like my situation
Original post by Anonymous

Considering they've treated you badly, you don't owe them an explanation. I would just unfriend them, and then if they ask why later you can explain. But it doesn't make sense to spend more time and effort writing this person a message when you're trying to remove them from your life. Just press the unfriend button and be done with it, move on.
Reply 7
Yeah - they've known I wanted space for a while but never respected it, so they know that much, I think they'd be able to guess why I unfriended them

Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by DrawTheLine
Considering they've treated you badly, you don't owe them an explanation. I would just unfriend them, and then if they ask why later you can explain. But it doesn't make sense to spend more time and effort writing this person a message when you're trying to remove them from your life. Just press the unfriend button and be done with it, move on.

Thank you - I think that's what I'm going to do, I know if I messaged them I'd probably be persuaded into staying friends with them which is something I don't want to do for the time being
i say unfriend them first and then tell them why if they ask

thats what i would do.
Thanks for all the advice

I've unfriended them without sending a message. In all honesty I doubt they're even going to notice :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending