Rachelhbrodie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I can't decide between Glasgow and Durham for my law degree! I am Scottish and I'm worried that it will be harder to switch to Scottish law after doing an English degree than it would be the other way round and the degree is free. However, I think Durham would give me a more prestigious degree so would give me better opportunities with Magic Circle firms and London opportunities? Help!
Johnny ~
Badges: 13
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Rachelhbrodie)
I can't decide between Glasgow and Durham for my law degree! I am Scottish and I'm worried that it will be harder to switch to Scottish law after doing an English degree than it would be the other way round and the degree is free. However, I think Durham would give me a more prestigious degree so would give me better opportunities with Magic Circle firms and London opportunities? Help!
You should probably make up your mind as to where you want to practice now (England & Wales vs Scotland).

The degree being free should be a pretty immense pull towards Glasgow. I doubt that Durham offers nearly £30k of value more, for law at least (the £30k being a conservative estimate - add the usurious interest charged by SFE and that £30k will increase to 40 or 50 if you're not going into a highly-paid legal career and staying there for a few years).

Going to Durham over Glasgow won't make you a more attractive candidate. And this obsession with Magic Circle firms on this forum really needs to stop. Most of you aren't going to end up at one or be suited to working at one.
Last edited by Johnny ~; 9 months ago
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
You should probably make up your mind as to where you want to practice now (England & Wales vs Scotland).

The degree being free should be a pretty immense pull towards Glasgow. I doubt that Durham offers nearly £30k of value more, for law at least (the £30k being a conservative estimate - add the usurious interest charged by SFE and that £30k will increase to 40 or 50 if you're not going into a highly-paid legal career and staying there for a few years).

Going to Durham over Glasgow won't make you a more attractive candidate. And this obsession with Magic Circle firms on this forum really needs to stop. Most of you aren't going to end up at one or be suited to working at one.
I agree with Johnny - the first step is deciding where you want to practice. As a RG uni (and even ranking above Durham in the League Tables this year: https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law) I don't think you'd be disadvantaged by going to Glasgow. I think the financial incentive alongside the option of the Common Law LLB (the option to practice law in England and Wales) and the Scots Law LLB provides scope whichever route you decide to pursue.
EsraH
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lawcalling)
I agree with Johnny - the first step is deciding where you want to practice. As a RG uni (and even ranking above Durham in the League Tables this year: https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law) I don't think you'd be disadvantaged by going to Glasgow. I think the financial incentive alongside the option of the Common Law LLB (the option to practice law in England and Wales) and the Scots Law LLB provides scope whichever route you decide to pursue.
do you think the ranking here https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law is for Glasgow Scots Law or Common Law? or maybe combined?
do you think studying common law in Scotland- if you want to work in EU- is a good idea? I have offers from Durham, Bristol and Glasgow but cant decide which one to choose. Is it better to study LLB in UK rather than studying Common Law in Scotland? My heart is sert on Glasgow tough
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (36)
17.73%
No one else does (66)
32.51%
I'm embarrassed about my background (20)
9.85%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (70)
34.48%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.48%
I don't have a camera (3)
1.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed