The Student Room Group

Second-Year Law Modules Options-Help!

Hi,

I'm currently deciding my law module options for second-year.
I want to go into commercial law in the future.

My compulsory modules are: Criminal, Land and Trusts Law.
I have chosen Commercial and Employment as my optional modules.

However, I am very torn between a few options for my last optional module choice.
Out of the rest of the law modules, Family seems the most interesting to me but many law students have recommended me to take up a non-law module so it would be easier to boost up my grade. I have also found first year to be quite difficult due to balancing the amount of reading in all 6 law modules.

Thus, I was wondering if doing a German Stage 1 module requires less work than if I was to take up Family Law with all my other modules?
Is Family Law much harder?
I achieved an A in German at GCSE and enjoyed learning the language.

I'm also considering an Intro to Psychology module, as I enjoyed it at A-Level but I think this may not complement my other choices as much as a language does. Is this true?

Thank you very much!
I would be grateful for any help.
Reply 1
i didn't do family, but everyone i know that did hated it as they were expecting some kind of black-letter but it wasn't mostly theory (their essay title was 'what is a family?' ). so if i were you i'd double check the content of it if you decide to go that route.

i did a politics module as one of my options and can say i found it significantly easier and it definitely boosted my grade.

why do you think a language module compliments your other choices?
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
i didn't do family, but everyone i know that did hated it as they were expecting some kind of black-letter but it wasn't mostly theory (their essay title was 'what is a family?' ). so if i were you i'd double check the content of it if you decide to go that route.

i did a politics module as one of my options and can say i found it significantly easier and it definitely boosted my grade.

why do you think a language module compliments your other choices?

Thanks! I've checked the module outline and it seems very interesting. I know it is very statutory though.
I meant as I want to be a commercial lawyer in an international firm, I feel like doing a language and justifying it with the reason of expanding my language skills to the recruiter would perhaps make more sense than doing something completely different like Psychology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending