The Student Room Group

law at uni

hey guys i start uni in september to study law, i was wondering - previous law students. Does anyone have any advice for first year law students, what to expect, how to prepare all the stuff?? anything will do
Original post by randoperson26101
hey guys i start uni in september to study law, i was wondering - previous law students. Does anyone have any advice for first year law students, what to expect, how to prepare all the stuff?? anything will do

Hi there, I have just finished my second year of law school at the University of Kent. I hope sharing my insights can be of some help to you. :smile:

I have really enjoyed my experience so far, I found some modules really interesting, such as criminal law, EU law, and public law. Universities often offer both compulsory and optional modules, perhaps in first year or later on, so you will definitely be able learn more about things that you are interested in.

For law, there is quite a bit of reading and essay writing to. Some students have recommended doing preparation before sitting through lectures, so they can absorb information better. Others prefer to revise after the lecture content have been delivered. I would recommend giving both a try and seeing what works best for you, you are given a lot of independence, so it is a good chance to figure out your style of work.

To deal with the reading, it will be slightly harder to start off as you are not sure what information is important and what you need to remember. But this improves with time, and you will be able to skim read and intake the relevant information easily.

One thing I find important is to keep your assignment deadlines in mind. It is best never to leave things to the last minute, as you should ideally leave time for proof reading and revision of the content.

Finally, maintaining a good work-life balance is very, very key. Despite the fact that law students can get quite busy, it is important to never let yourself get drained or stressed out because of studies. Remember to enjoy your University experience by joining societies, making new friends and trying out different opportunities.

I hope this helps, and all the best with University. :smile:

Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending